Anybody use an Orion Atlas scope?

Old August 14th 04, 05:31 PM
Mark N.

Default Anybody use an Orion Atlas scope?

I see that they have their 8" Atlas on sale and I've always been intrigued
by that mount. Does anybody here have either the 8" or 10" and what can you
say, good or bad, about it?

I've been away for a year or so, but just resubscribed to this ng. I see
that in my absence, M*n has fallen mostly silent. Any new nutjobs hanging
around? I do see one potential nutjob already as I scroll through the
names. Some things never change ;-)

Many thanks,
Mark

Old August 15th 04, 10:09 PM
Mike

I think I had the precursor to the 8" Atlas. FWIW, it worked pretty much
perfectly.

Mike

Nobles and heralds, by your leave,
Here lies what once was Matthew Prior,
The son of Adam and Eve,

Old August 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Mark N.

I think I had the precursor to the 8" Atlas. FWIW, it worked pretty much
perfectly.

Mike

Thanks Mike...

I see that the 8" is on sale right now for $150 off too... Not sure how
long that will last, but I'm VERY tempted to pick up my phone and place an
order. That mount is rated up to 40lbs so I suspect that an 8" mirror/tube
shouldn't stress it too much at all, although the 8 D-cell power demand
would eat me out of house and home! They do have a lead-acid field battery
pack though...

Thanks,
Mark

Old August 18th 04, 07:01 AM
Mike

"Mark N." wrote in message
m...
I see that the 8" is on sale right now for $150 off too... Not sure how
long that will last, but I'm VERY tempted to pick up my phone and place an
order. That mount is rated up to 40lbs so I suspect that an 8"

mirror/tube
shouldn't stress it too much at all, although the 8 D-cell power demand
would eat me out of house and home! They do have a lead-acid field

battery
pack though...

Mine did not have a computer, just to let you know. Orion has a good
reputation; charged me an arm to ship though.