Amateur Astronomy in UK

Old February 4th 05, 12:30 PM
Zinc Potterman

Default Amateur Astronomy in UK

I'm trying to find societies that are conducting amateur scientific
observations and get some feel
as to the numbers, compared to those who conduct observations for what they
would describe as solely pleasure and wonder. I realise that there will be
a lot of overlap and many imagers would see themselves as
conducting scientific work. To try to simplify the answer perhaps I should
define science (imperfectly I know) as when a measurement has been made
followed by some sort of analysis and or publication.
I have tried FAS.
I was also hoping to make contact with those who consider that they are
doing science and what exactly their programmes are.
Just interested in the relative numbers.
Zinc

--

To reply to address don't click.
Cut and paste, then delete

------------------------------------

Old February 4th 05, 01:02 PM
Sayf Connary

Zinc Potterman wrote:
I'm trying to find societies that are conducting amateur scientific
observations and get some feel
as to the numbers, compared to those who conduct observations for what they
would describe as solely pleasure and wonder. I realise that there will be
a lot of overlap and many imagers would see themselves as
conducting scientific work. To try to simplify the answer perhaps I should
define science (imperfectly I know) as when a measurement has been made
followed by some sort of analysis and or publication.
I have tried FAS.
I was also hoping to make contact with those who consider that they are
doing science and what exactly their programmes are.
Just interested in the relative numbers.
Zinc

Purely pleasure here.

Although I plan on going back to Uni in the Autumn to study Planetary
Science, so it may change! :-)

--
~Sayf
Old February 4th 05, 01:18 PM
Steve

Zinc Potterman wrote:

I'm trying to find societies that are conducting amateur scientific
observations and get some feel
as to the numbers, compared to those who conduct observations for what
they would describe as solely pleasure and wonder. I realise that
there will be a lot of overlap and many imagers would see themselves as
conducting scientific work. To try to simplify the answer perhaps I
should define science (imperfectly I know) as when a measurement has
been made followed by some sort of analysis and or publication.
I have tried FAS.
I was also hoping to make contact with those who consider that they
are doing science and what exactly their programmes are.
Just interested in the relative numbers.
Zinc

Have you posted in uk.sci.astro too ? I am trying to move the astronomy
centre into science, as opposed to looking at the same old things week
in week out !

Steve
Old February 4th 05, 07:10 PM
Tim Auton

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete digits to
reply) wrote:

I'm trying to find societies that are conducting amateur scientific
observations and get some feel
as to the numbers, compared to those who conduct observations for what they
would describe as solely pleasure and wonder.

[snip]
I was also hoping to make contact with those who consider that they are
doing science and what exactly their programmes are.

My local astronomical society (Sheffield Astronomical Society) has
scientific observing programmes, you can find details he

http://www.sheffieldastro.org.uk/sas-projects.htm

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old February 4th 05, 07:19 PM
Maurice Gavin

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:30:51 +0000 (UTC), "Zinc Potterman"
. (delete digits to reply) wrote:

I'm trying to find societies that are conducting amateur scientific
observations
Just interested in the relative numbers.
Zinc

Try Brit Astro Assoc at

http://www.britastro.org/main/

and goto to the Observing Sections and BAA Journal