ASTRO: NGC 1560 an obscured galaxy in weak IFN

Old July 6th 10, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 1560 an obscured galaxy in weak IFN

NGC 1560 is a spiral galaxy above my 70 north limit due to my Polaris
Tree. But only by a degree so it's only in the very edges of the tree
for much of its circle around the pole. By taking 5 hours of data with
it east of the pole I was able to find 3 L images, 2 red, 2, green and 3
blue that weren't too bothered by pine needles. They still made for
some interesting halos around bright stars and color prism effects to
those halos. I've removed these the best I can. The picture looks
noisy but I think it real and due to the IFN. It is located in a part
of the sky known to have IFN but I didn't expect only 30 minutes of data
to bring it out like this. It just barely shows in the DSS plates and
then only if you really stretch the heck out of them but the brightest
parts match my image so not all the fuzz is due to pine needles.

NGC 1560 is a Maffei Galaxy, that is it is a member of this heavily
obscured, but very nearby, group of galaxies that includes Maffei 1 and
2 as well as IC 342 and Arp 210 as well as some other dwarf galaxies
like UGCA 86, 92, 105 and UGC 2773, Cam A, B, and D and a few others
some found by radio telescopes like Dwingeloo 1 and 2. Most are below
my 70 degree limit so are on my to-do list but I don't know when I'll
get to those not yet imaged.

NGC 1560 is classed as an SA(s)d spiral. It is located in the
constellation of Camelopardalis (a giraffe not a camel) I have seen
several distance estimates ranging from 7.5 to 16 million light-years.
This close redshift is worthless. In fact it has a blue shift meaning
it is approaching us. Most sources seem to average out at about 10
million light years. The problem is how to take into account the
dimming due to looking through all the dust and gas of our galaxy.
Different estimates of this dimming give different distances.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=3x10', RG=2x10'x3, B=3x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC1560L3X10RG2X10X3B3X10X3.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	548.9 KB
ID:	3010
Old July 11th 10, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

I settled on a distance of 16Mly - can't remember the process in
arriving at that number after wrestling with the various estimates.

Anyhow - nice image.

Old July 13th 10, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Very good image Rick.
Amazing that this is supposed to be a spiral, I see no sign of spiral
structure or the typical "disk" of edge-on spirals. It probably doesn't have
a supermassive black hole in it's center.

Stefan

. com...