Saddam Hussein captured...

Old December 17th 03, 04:14 PM
TKalbfus

Default Saddam Hussein captured...

The popular choice doesn't have to be a democratic republic.

Some people just love to suffer. If they choose not to have a democratic
government, they are choosing not to have the right to choose, therefore they
loose the right to choose the nondemocratic form of government that they
prefer. That will get chosen for them. I find nothing wrong with the United
States then choosing the form of government they do not wish to choose
themselves. If they do not want democracy, they have no right to complain about
what we choose for them. We shouldn't allow an Islamic government that will
just kill Americans. We'll just run the place as a protectorate until they
choose democracy.

Tom
Old December 17th 03, 04:35 PM
Joseph Oberlander

TKalbfus wrote:

The popular choice doesn't have to be a democratic republic.

Some people just love to suffer. If they choose not to have a democratic
government, they are choosing not to have the right to choose, therefore they
loose the right to choose the nondemocratic form of government that they
prefer. That will get chosen for them.

The problem is that a deomocracy patterened after our model is unworkable
and always will be as long as they believe in Islam. The fundamental(no pun
intended) problem is that they have no concept of a seperation between their
faith and their system of government. It's a matter of their seeing no
reason at all for there to BE a seperation.

Nothing we try to ram down their throats will stick as long as their
religion is not part of it.

Old December 17th 03, 07:18 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , TKalbfus wrote:

prefer. That will get chosen for them. I find nothing wrong with the
United States then choosing the form of government they do not wish
to choose themselves. If they do not want democracy, they have no
right to complain about what we choose for them. We shouldn't allow an
Islamic government that will just kill Americans. We'll just run the
place as a protectorate until they choose democracy.

They've got to be protected /
All their rights respected /
Till someone we *like* can be elected...
- Tom Lehrer, 1964

--
-Andrew Gray

Old December 17th 03, 07:30 PM
Gordon Tisher

Joseph Oberlander writes:
The problem is that a deomocracy patterened after our model is
unworkable and always will be as long as they believe in Islam. The
fundamental(no pun intended) problem is that they have no concept of a
seperation between their faith and their system of government. It's a
matter of their seeing no reason at all for there to BE a seperation.

Oh, the poor dumb wogs can't handle self-determination?

Nothing we try to ram down their throats will stick as long as their
religion is not part of it.

Turkey seems to do just fine.

--
Gordon Tisher

The aggressor is a man of peace. He wants nothing more than
to march into a neighbouring country unresisted. - Clausewitz
Old December 19th 03, 09:24 PM
Eric Chomko

Andrew Gray ) wrote:
: In article , TKalbfus wrote:

: prefer. That will get chosen for them. I find nothing wrong with the
: United States then choosing the form of government they do not wish
: to choose themselves. If they do not want democracy, they have no
: right to complain about what we choose for them. We shouldn't allow an
: Islamic government that will just kill Americans. We'll just run the
: place as a protectorate until they choose democracy.

: They've got to be protected /
: All their rights respected /
: Till someone we *like* can be elected...
: - Tom Lehrer, 1964

I love Tom Lehrer, he's great!

My turn to add lyrics from a Phil Ochs song:

The name for our profits is democracy
So, like it or not, you will have to be free
'Cause we're the Cops of the World, boys
We're the Cops of the World

The whole text is he
http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~trent/ochs/ly...the-world.html

Eric