Smart-1 crash

Old September 1st 06, 04:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MA-MA

Default Smart-1 crash

What is the possibility that the impacting Smart-1 at 2 km/sec. will emit a
flash of light that can be detected
at 120 - 150 X's magnification and what is the minimum aperture needed?

Old September 1st 06, 08:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article dxNJg.246$Hr1.194@clgrps12, MA-MA wrote:
What is the possibility that the impacting Smart-1 at 2 km/sec. will emit a
flash of light that can be detected
at 120 - 150 X's magnification and what is the minimum aperture needed?

What is the possibility that the impacting Smart-1 at 2 km/sec. will emit a
flash of light that can be detected at 120 - 150 X's magnification and what
is the minimum aperture needed?

Nobody knows.... to try to find out, why don't you look for such a flash,
using the largest telescope you have available? Perhaps the flash will be
visible also in quite small instruments, or perhaps it'll be invisible even
in the largest instruments; we won't know until after the impact.

(unfortunately for me, I can't try to look for it, since the Moon is
way below my horizon when the impact is supposed to happen)

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old September 1st 06, 11:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe Jakarta

MA-MA wrote:
What is the possibility that the impacting Smart-1 at 2 km/sec. will emit a
flash of light that can be detected
at 120 - 150 X's magnification and what is the minimum aperture needed?

This is a cruel practise ...

I'm sure we can get up a campaign group against it.

Old September 1st 06, 03:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tim Killian

Joe Jakarta wrote:
MA-MA wrote:

What is the possibility that the impacting Smart-1 at 2 km/sec. will emit a
flash of light that can be detected
at 120 - 150 X's magnification and what is the minimum aperture needed?

This is a cruel practise ...

I'm sure we can get up a campaign group against it.

Where is the environmental impact (ha ha) statement?

Has anyone determined if the RoHS directive is being violated?

Who will be first to blame this "cowboy" planetary science on George Bush?