..Simple Palestinian Rockets Set Middle East on Fire!

Old July 16th 06, 02:26 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Elliot

Default ..Simple Palestinian Rockets Set Middle East on Fire!

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Scott Lowther wrote:

jonathan wrote:

I think Iran wants to use Hezbollah to take over Lebanon.
The Iranians have us by the balls, if we mess with them directly
Iran can use an oil embargo to drive oil prices through the roof.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Oil prices get too high, we finally
start hanging from the lamp posts those the environmentalists that
prevented nuclear power.

and staking down to ant hills those "eat mucho more oil" tychoons who
prevented fuel efficient cars and conservation programs. BTW, we'll let
you eat the nuclear waste.

Then we take their life savings and invest it in TDP, grow our own
petroleum, and say "screw off' to the oil-producing nations.

Gas from corn requires almost as much oil based fertilize and production
energy that it's futile to consider it and without government subsidies for
corn growers, would even be considered. On the other hand, wild power,
which hasn't these problems, has been scuttled by scuttle butt Bush.
Old July 16th 06, 03:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Elliot

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, William Elliot wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Scott Lowther wrote:
jonathan wrote:

Errors missed by smell corrector removed as tho they were
heretically pro-choice liberals in a theo-fascist demockracy.

I think Iran wants to use Hezbollah to take over Lebanon.
The Iranians have us by the balls, if we mess with them directly
Iran can use an oil embargo to drive oil prices through the roof.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Oil prices get too high, we finally
start hanging from the lamp posts those the environmentalists that
prevented nuclear power.

and staking down to ant hills those "eat mucho more oil" tychoons who
prevented fuel efficient cars and conservation programs. BTW, we'll let
you eat the nuclear waste.

Then we take their life savings and invest it in TDP, grow our own
petroleum, and say "screw off' to the oil-producing nations.

Gas from corn requires almost as much oil based fertilize and production
energy that it's futile to consider it and without government subsidies

for corn growers, wouldn't ever be consider. On the other hand, wind

Old July 16th 06, 09:51 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

William Elliot wrote:

:Yup. Nuclear weapons deliver radioactive pollution to your door step air
:express while nuclear power delivers radioactive pollution by snail mail.

You get more radiation from a coal plant than you do from a nuclear
plant. You really are quite the ignorant little git, aren't you?

This is a science group. Learn some.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 16th 06, 10:39 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Elliot

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Fred J. McCall wrote:

William Elliot wrote:

:Yup. Nuclear weapons deliver radioactive pollution to your door step air
:express while nuclear power delivers radioactive pollution by snail mail.

You get more radiation from a coal plant than you do from a nuclear
plant. You really are quite the ignorant little git, aren't you?

This is a science group. Learn some.

Good idea, appear educated, learn some manners!
Old July 16th 06, 02:48 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
jonathan

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Pat Flannery wrote:

They flew a drone loaded with explosives into an Israeli naval vessel
today causing heavy damage.
The thing was apparently one of these:
http://www.defensetech.org/images/Mersad-1.jpg
Called a "Mirsad-1" and built in Iran. It is supposed to carry a 50 kg
explosive load.

Now the Israelis are stating that it was a radar-guided Iranian C-802
missile, which is either a Iranian version of a Chinese missile, or a
Chinese missiles sold to Iran:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/m.../row/c-802.htm
the shore-launched antiship version uses a small turbojet for propulsion.

Jihadists with cruise missiles, that great ...just great.

Ya know, how many times have we wondered what the world
would be like if Hitler had waited until he had nukes to
launch his crusade?

Those Jihadists would use a nuke against a city the very first minute
they got one. They wouldn't even think twice about it.

Pat

Old July 16th 06, 05:43 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Scott Hedrick[_1_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
I don't know if nuclear is the way to go, but we've got to figure out some
way to get largely energy independent, as this **** is going to get worse
and worse as time goes on.

Nuclear power won't cure the problem, but it will be a great help.

We could *and should* double our nuclear capacity. I think that would just
about top out the practical additional benefit.

Wind use will only help a little bit. Of course, now the environmentalists
are going ape**** because sometimes birds fly into the windmills.

Solar could be greatly extended. I see no reason why solar power couldn't
provide 20% of our total needs, mostly in the southwest.

Hydroelectic potential is pretty much tapped out.

There are fringe methods which deserve some consideration but which would
never be a significant source, such as wave power, geothermal power and the
use of ocean thermal gradients. There just aren't enough available places to
make geothermal power significant (but still worth doing in those few places
where it could be practical). Tapping the waves seems like an interesting
idea, but I don't know if the payback is worth the investment. It's the same
for ocean thermals- it would be a high investment with a questionable
return. Clever idea, though. Biomass is also a good but highly limited
alternative.

In the short term, we need far more emphasis on conservation, as well as
more investment in oil shales, as well as drilling in Alaska and off the
coast of Florida. I say, when conservation has increased by 20% AND private
industry (without the benefit of tax breaks) spends *at least* 30% of what
it does exploring for and pumping oil on alternative methods for a minimum
of 5 years, oil wells should be drilled in Alaska and off the coast of
Florida.

Old July 16th 06, 09:01 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Sander Vesik

In sci.space.policy jonathan wrote:

I was wondering how they hit that ship. Just as I'm typing this CNN reported
that Israel said it was an Iranian missile not a drone. But I don't see how
they
could hit that ship with an unguided missile.

There appears to be a lot of confusion about what hit the ship -
for example, bloomberg manages to call it both radar and laser
guided missile in the same (short) paragraph. No two source appears
to be able to agree on teh missile anyways or on if and how) it was
guided or it it is a fire and forget missile.

Something able to place a hit on a SAAR 5 is not a trivial matter though.
Its suposed to be a modern well-defended missile frigate.

Jonathan

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++