Hardin Optical 8" Dobsonian Telescope

Old October 14th 03, 04:18 AM
Sherry Katz

Since Hardin is no fly-by-night outfit, I'm sure the scope is okay. I wish

them
luck in chasing down Orion. I just hope they do better than Meade did in

their
pursuit of Celestron.

Capt RB
NY

Uh? Meade outsells Celestron something like three to one.

Old October 14th 03, 05:32 AM
Norvin Adams III

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
FYI

From what I was recently told, Hardin used to make scopes for Orion.

Perhaps
the "superior" Orion scope I used was one of theirs. In any case, the new

Orion
scopes appear to be a leap forward with integrated setting circles and

well
engineered mounts. By comparison, the Hardin's look like dinosaurs.

Have you seen the new versions? They are ivory white. Pretty good looking.

Old October 14th 03, 11:33 AM
Bobsprit

Capt RB
NY

Uh? Meade outsells Celestron something like three to one.

Meade has failed to equall or surpass Celestron in any important area beyond
sales. After all of these years, Meade is still second (by a long shot) in
quality and respect.

RB

Old October 14th 03, 11:36 AM
Bobsprit

Have you seen the new versions? They are ivory white. Pretty good looking.

Yup, I have. I've seen the 10. A white telescope has never made sense to me as
it catches and reflects stray light, actually having a viable impact on night
vision if used in some urban settings. It also doesn't wear well. I ended up
painting my Dynascope years ago and was quite happy to have the dark colored
Celestron 9.25.

RB

Old October 14th 03, 11:45 AM
Bobsprit

The Orion is F 4.7 I believe. The Hardin is F 5. The difference matters as
far as image quality.

Oh boy according to the catalogue from Orion the XT8 is F5.9.
It gives little confort that Hardin doesn't even mention the F ratio on their
website. They also prove zero detail on the mounts, mirrors and so on.
http://hardinoptical.com/dsh8.html.
I'm still waiting for the "numerous" reviews showing that the Hardin is
optically superior to the Orion...or any other budget dob out there!

Capt RB
NY

Old October 14th 03, 04:24 PM
Randy Rourke

I suspect the initial post was actually spam. The fellow calls a "nice lady"
good customer service! I know plenty of nice ladies who will do the same for a
bit of business. He also bothers to mention that the call was toll free and
calls the scope "a fine piece of equipment" sight unseen. Sounds like a sales
pitch or someone trying to be convinced he bought the right scope.
Since Hardin is no fly-by-night outfit, I'm sure the scope is okay. I wish them
luck in chasing down Orion. I just hope they do better than Meade did in their
pursuit of Celestron.

Capt RB
NY

I thought the same thing about your post. Especially after you brought
up Meade.
A recent post of this very forum mentioned Celestron not returning
service calls for 7-8 days, due to the Mars opposition. Not acceptable
in my book.

Try searching this very forum for info about the Dobs, if you are
truly sincere.