Need help choosing a good mount/tripod for Meade AR5 refractor

Old October 17th 03, 03:11 AM
Scutter

Default Need help choosing a good mount/tripod for Meade AR5 refractor

I recently purchased a Meade AR5 refractor OTA only (5" (127mm) lens, 1180mm
focal length). I was hoping to use a tripod and mount that I already had
until I could do better, but it is just too flimsy. The scope is about 1.2
meters long, and weighs 15 pounds (just under 8 kg). My experience with
telescopes is limited to a 60mm refractor and a 114mm newtonian. So this is
new ground (or sky) for me.

I am not sure what would be the minimum requirement for a mount and tripod
for this scope. Most of the mounts I see on the web don't give a good
description of the size scope they will handle. Some do, but they seem to be
the exception. I have thought about buying a wooden surveyer's tripod and
building a modified dobsonian style mount on top, using Meade DS motors for
tracking, but I am also considering just buying a commercially-built
motorized mount and being done with it.

Tracking is a requirement for me, preferably 2-axis. So far I see CG-5
mounts from various companies that look OK, and Orion has the Skyview Pro
and Astroview (the Astroview looks a little light). Their Atlas ($800) is
out of my budget for now. I am used to using Meade DS-type AltAz mounts and
a small dob, but it looks to me that with the exception of dobs, all the
heavy-duty mounts are EQ. I have also heard that the LXD-55 mount that
normally comes with the Meade AR5 OTA is on the light side. GOTO would be
nice, but I am not going to sacrifice sturdiness for that. I need to keep
the price down at this time. Possibly the ability to add that in the future
would be a consideration.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have searched the web till my eyes
hurt and cannot seem to find a reasonably priced mount that will hold my
scope well. Maybe that doesn't exist.........
--
Dan Braasch

Old October 17th 03, 02:59 PM
Jon Isaacs

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have searched the web till my eyes
hurt and cannot seem to find a reasonably priced mount that will hold my
scope well. Maybe that doesn't exist.........
--
Dan Braasch

I think your most economical choice is to purchase a used CG-5 on astromart.
Also at some point I believe Anacortes was selling CG-5s for $250 and then of
course at least one drive is required as well if you want tracking.

The CG-4 /Orion EQ-3 may handle the scope if you upgrade the tripod, I found
that my EQ-3 with the 120mm F8.3 Orion refractor was too vibration prone with
the stock tripod. Upgrading the tripod made a huge difference.

One problem with such refractors on EQ mounts is that the legs have to close to
full extension so that when viewing near the zenith it is possible to see
anything. even with the legs extended, kneeling in the dirt is not that comfy.

Jon
Old October 18th 03, 03:15 AM
Scutter

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the CG-5 might be a decent choice for an EQ. I would really prefer
an alt/az mount, and still may build one over buying an EQ, but it's nice to
know a CG-5 will handle my scope if I choose to buy.

I need to put a design down on paper to see what it will take to build. I
have seen many designs on the web and have taken something from many of
them. I just don't have a machine shop at my disposal. I will have to work
with wood on this project.

I know what you mean about being on your knees with a scope like this. I
already have the knee cushion in my accessory bag. When I put the scope on
my small alt/az mount to test it I was real low to the ground. Maybe I
should build a roller "cot" with adjustable height head rest to lay on. Kind
of like a "Craftmatic adjustable bed" for astronomy. Hmmmm. maybe there's a
market for that?????? OK, I'm just kidding on that one..... I fall asleep
as soon as I get horizontal. I'd never get any viewing in. :-)

--
Dan Braasch