Urban/Suburban Messier Guide Complete

Old August 5th 03, 12:14 PM
Tony Flanders

Default Urban/Suburban Messier Guide Complete

I have finished the Early Autumn and Late Autumn sections
of my Urban and Suburban Messier Guide, available online at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze55p46. That completes the
initial text for the entire set of Messier objects.

I now have a number of options w.r.t. this web site:

* Leave well enough alone.
It has taken plenty of time already; I have other
things to do with my life!

* Proofread the whole thing.
Highly virtuous, but uninspiring. No doubt there are
plenty of typos, and I bet I said West where I meant East
at least half a dozen times, and vice versa.

* Add pictures.
This would undoubtedly be the most useful and glamorous
improvement, but it also requires an unspeakable amount
of work. Four different views of 109 objects adds up!
Also, I would no doubt exceed the disk space allocated
for free by my ISP.

* Branch out into non-Messier objects.
I am particularly interested in adding a section on
non-Messier open clusters, which include many of the
best targets for urban observers.

* Add introductory, explanatory, and auxilliary text.
Plenty to say w.r.t. sky brightness, observing skills,
observing sites, equipment, etc.

- Tony Flanders
Old August 5th 03, 01:08 PM
Phil Wheeler

Tony Flanders wrote:
I have finished the Early Autumn and Late Autumn sections
of my Urban and Suburban Messier Guide, available online at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze55p46. That completes the
initial text for the entire set of Messier objects.

Very nice, Tony: Thanks!

Phil

Old August 5th 03, 04:37 PM
Victor

Tony Flanders wrote:

* Proofread the whole thing.
Highly virtuous, but uninspiring. No doubt there are
plenty of typos, and I bet I said West where I meant East
at least half a dozen times, and vice versa.

Why not just kindly ask your readers to email you if they find a typo or
an incorrect statement?

* Branch out into non-Messier objects.
I am particularly interested in adding a section on
non-Messier open clusters, which include many of the
best targets for urban observers.

That would be great!

* Add introductory, explanatory, and auxilliary text.
Plenty to say w.r.t. sky brightness, observing skills,
observing sites, equipment, etc.

Tony, your views and advice on these would be interesting too!

Maybe you could do a few pages on the non-Messiers, and when you feel
like taking a break, write a couple of articles on whatever you feel
like at that stage. That may keep you from suffering burn-out and
losing the fun factor!
Old August 5th 03, 07:56 PM
Brian Tung

Tony Flanders wrote about his completed guide.

I wonder if it would be possible to put it in a format readable by the
various PDAs out there, running either PalmOS or PocketPC.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old August 5th 03, 10:50 PM
Cousin Ricky

(Tony Flanders) wrote in message m...
I have finished the Early Autumn and Late Autumn sections
of my Urban and Suburban Messier Guide, available online at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze55p46. That completes the
initial text for the entire set of Messier objects.

I now have a number of options w.r.t. this web site:

* Leave well enough alone.
It has taken plenty of time already; I have other
things to do with my life!

Make it a background task. A finalized Web site is a stale Web
site--but your site is now at a crossroads where nothing needs to be
rushed.

* Proofread the whole thing.
Highly virtuous, but uninspiring. No doubt there are
plenty of typos, and I bet I said West where I meant East
at least half a dozen times, and vice versa.

At laest this; the Web is to ful of errers as it is. (Best wood be to
have somewone else prufreed it--as is hte usiual practiss with non-Web
media. Thsi way, yoo wuoldn't have two be the uninspired one. ;-))

I've had my own Messier guide on the Web for about two years now, and
i still find stupid errors occasionally.

One criticism: The menu at the left doesn't show up unless image
have a background image, you should also set a background color style
or attribute to match it.

Clear skies!

--
~ U.S. Virgin Islands ~ USDA zone 11 ~ 18.3N, 64.9W ~