_really_ strange space suit

Old December 23rd 07, 10:17 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default _really_ strange space suit

I was looking around over at "Modern Mechanix", and you _have_ to see
this spacesuit design.
This is what would have happened if Pablo Picasso had been hired as a
design consultant for NASA.
Words fail me:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Pat :-D
Old December 23rd 07, 11:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Darren J Longhorn

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 04:17:33 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

I was looking around over at "Modern Mechanix", and you _have_ to see
this spacesuit design.
This is what would have happened if Pablo Picasso had been hired as a
design consultant for NASA.
Words fail me:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

There are special web sites dedicated to that kind of fashion. Or so I
hear.

--
Darren J Longhorn
It's all faked, I tell you, all of it!
Old December 23rd 07, 12:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Darren J Longhorn wrote:
There are special web sites dedicated to that kind of fashion. Or so I
hear.

What if the astronaut is left handed? Now that's the very definition of
masochism. The poor ******* not only has to stick his arm into the
pressure suit sleeve from near the base of his ribcage, but has to do it
_upside-down_ if he hopes to have a chance at survival.
Forget test pilots, we need to recruit our astronauts from the Barnum
and Bailey circus. :-D

Pat
Old December 23rd 07, 03:54 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
I was looking around over at "Modern Mechanix", and you _have_ to see this
spacesuit design.
This is what would have happened if Pablo Picasso had been hired as a
design consultant for NASA.
Words fail me:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Pat :-D

Didn't you post this one before? I know I've seen it in these newsgroups
before.

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old December 24th 07, 12:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Didn't you post this one before? I know I've seen it in these newsgroups
before.

I may have posted it some time back but figured it was odd enough that
people might get a kick out of it for Christmas.
I just rolled out of bed, having had a dream about being trapped in that
damned thing while bats were flying around in my apartment. :-)

Pat
Old December 24th 07, 12:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

What if the astronaut is left handed? Now that's the very definition
of masochism.

Actually in that photo it looks like he has his left arm in the sleeve,
unless the picture got reversed when printed.

Pat
Old December 24th 07, 01:18 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Dave Michelson

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Pat :-D

Didn't you post this one before? I know I've seen it in these newsgroups
before.

It must be the writer's strike :-|

Oh, well. We could do worse than "The Best of Sci.Space", I suppose :-)

Best of the season to all! (Except for the trolls; coal in their
stockings for them!)

--
Dave Michelson

Old December 24th 07, 05:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:30:37 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

What if the astronaut is left handed?

"In the meantime, Wally, you'll just have to scratch them righty."

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old December 24th 07, 08:16 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Dave Michelson wrote:

It must be the writer's strike :-|

Oh, well. We could do worse than "The Best of Sci.Space", I suppose :-)

Here's more amusing space articles from Modern Mechanix:
The white man's burden; teaching Martians to do math:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...-the-martians/
Who needs the Hubble Space Telescope?
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...d-of-universe/
Our 100 pound Moon rocket, with the 50 pound payload:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/10/17/station-moon/
"Our flag's on it, so it's _ours_! Screw you and the troika you rode in
on!": http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...-the-moon-now/
Our Sun, which is apparently around 10,000 miles from us, and makes coal
possible:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...ic-ray-origin/
Ten years later, the German's realized you could get to London even
faster than that by rocket, but the trip to New York was still their
ultimate goal:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...than-one-hour/
"New research indicates God made the universe using a giant hand drill":
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...se-was-formed/
Robert Goddard banishes darkness with 1,000 mph propeller-rocket:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...e-outer-space/

(Note two things in that article's illustrations: the Earth floats
around in clouds just like in Hollywood movies, and those Germans are
completely fixated on shooting a rocket into New York City)
People were getting on Pluto's case way back then also:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-minor-planet/
Aliens will look a lot like cartoons:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...ple-look-like/
Did this ever actually end up on Apollo?:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...in-a-nutshell/
"It will have a 600 billion degree atomic reactor on it, and hoards of
proton torpedoes for blowing up the communist rebels, my master.":
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-on-a-skyhook/
Expanding universe? Nope, tired light:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...and-turns-red/
Perkin-Elmer hires guys with defective eyesight to grind giant space
telescope mirror; "Looks fine to us!" they say:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...ace-telescope/
Right till you get to the edge of that collapsed lava tube you can't see
because it's directly in front of you, this will work fine:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...squirrel-cage/
"Look, over there!" (all the crew runs to the starboard window, vehicle
topples on to its side):
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...lore-the-moon/
Russia claims it invented "Clarke Orbit" and also invented the concept
of "lying":
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...ses-global-tv/
The Germans again:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-stratosphere/
Son of the Really Strange Space Suit; fits great if your arms are broken
at the elbows. I guess "Lunar suit for earth explorer" wouldn't make
much sense, would it?:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2005/...pace-explorer/
SDI, 1947 style: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...osmic-ray-gun/
And, inevitably, the Germans once again:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...d-to-bomb-usa/
And you wondered where the the idea for the Roton came from?:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/.../lrg_cover.jpg

Pat
Old December 28th 07, 06:15 AM posted to sci.space.history, sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Dec 23, 3:17 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
I was looking around over at "Modern Mechanix", and you _have_ to see
this spacesuit design.
This is what would have happened if Pablo Picasso had been hired as a
design consultant for NASA.
Words fail me:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Ah, but that isn't a *regular* space suit. It's just a cheap
*emergency* space suit in case of a loss of cabin pressure. Ordinary
space suits to actually *do* things in will be the more expensive kind
with _two_ legs and _two_ arms.

So it's not really strange if you read the article and take the text
into consideration.

John Savard