...This is How Far Nasa has Fallen.....Even I can't believe this....

Old May 9th 07, 01:43 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
Jonathan

Default ...This is How Far Nasa has Fallen.....Even I can't believe this....

George W; So dad, tell me, what was your biggest regret
during your four years in office, except of course
for that ya know "read my...ah... except for that?

George Sr; Except for 'that' of course, I really wanted to go
back to the future, ah, back to the moon and
then on to Mars. Been dreaming about it since I
was fifty. But we couldn't get the money
...damn that Rudman.

George W; Hell, I'll just tell em to scrap everything and dust
off your 'ol dream daddy, we'll go back to the ah
....where was than again?

George Sr; ....the moon son (rolling his eyes)

George W; ya ya the moon, consider it my Christmas gift dad!

George Sr; Thanks son

President Bush announces new space inititive

"First, for the coming decade, for the 1990s, Space Station
Freedom, our critical next step in all our space endeavors.
And next, for the next century, back to the Moon, back
to the future, and this time, back to stay. And then a
journey into tomorrow, a journey to another planet, a
manned mission to Mars..."

-- President George Bush, July 21st 1989

"When President Bush announced a new Space Exploration
Initiative in 1989, NASA launched a 90-day study to pull
together its current thinking on creation of a lunar base
as a prelude and testbed for expeditions to Mars.
The resulting project would cost $300 billion and
take 20 years to place an 8 crew base at Lacus Veris.
Even space enthusiasts were underwhelmed
and the concept sank out of sight."
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/luntpost.htm

Nasa has become nothing more than a rich kids toy.

Old May 9th 07, 02:06 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
kT

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

And to think we have to put up with this crap for two more years.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old May 9th 07, 02:43 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
Jonathan

"kT" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:

Nasa has become nothing more than a rich kids toy.

And to think we have to put up with this crap for two more years.

The paper the other day documented an unusually
high number of resignations recently of Bush
appointees. The last year will be the lamest
lame-duck in a long time. Hopefully Nasa will
drag their feet for the next year and a half
before committing themselves to anything
long term.

I don't know why, but when I think about this stuff
I keep remembering an old Monty Python skit....

King of Swamp Castle;

"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said
I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it
all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp.
So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp.
So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank
into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up.
And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest
castle in all of England."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/quotes

Old May 9th 07, 11:54 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
George[_1_]

"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

Fact: It takes a lot of money to venture into space. Are you suggesting
that they take the money from of the Welfare budget? But hey, they spent
300 billion dollars for the first two years of the war in Iraq. And what
do they have to show for it besides a lot of dead bosies?

George

Old May 9th 07, 04:28 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
El Guapo

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, I don't know, George... democracy in the middle east, perhaps? Not that
I'm convinced that we have the will to see it through for long enough to
sustain it, but we'll see.

Old May 9th 07, 04:47 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
El Guapo

"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not a big fan of the back to the moon initiative, but honestly, is it
any worse than flying around the earth in circles, over and over and over
again?

At least this is meant to serve as a step towards going somewhere
interesting. You can debate the merits of the plan in scientific terms, but
the goal is a good one compared to what we were doing before.

Personally I think this should be the golden age of unmanned exploration,
and that we should sending out probes and satellites in every direction in
large numbers. We should be hard at work on something truly wonderful &
revolutionary, such as a gravitational lense telescope. Not only would
projects like that increase our knowledge of the solar system and universe
exponentially, they would probably provide just as much useful information
for manned planetory exploration as going back to the moon.

Old May 9th 07, 04:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
kT

El Guapo wrote:

Nasa has become nothing more than a rich kids toy.

I'm not a big fan of the back to the moon initiative, but honestly, is
it any worse than flying around the earth in circles, over and over and
over again?

I know, it's horrible, the moon flying around in circles around the
Earth over and over again, the Earth flying around in circles around the
sun over and over again, the sun flying around in circles around the
galaxy over and over again. The law of gravity needs to be repealed!

Wouldn't it be great if the universe was expanding, and all the objects
were receding from each other? What we need is more emptyness! Darkness!

Old May 9th 07, 06:17 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On May 9, 11:28 am, "El Guapo" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

. ..

"Jonathan" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

The fallacy of democracy in the Middle East is that we suck up to the
monarchy in Saudi Arabia rather than shun it. But since we are slaves
to oil, here we are.

Ever watch Cheney when he greets a member of the Saudi royal family?
It's enough to make you sick.

Eric

Old May 9th 07, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
Gareth Slee

Eric Chomko wrote:

Ever watch Cheney when he greets a member of the Saudi royal family?
It's enough to make you sick.

What!, no "Yo Al Saud"?
:-)

--
Gareth
http://www.meroffice.com
Old May 9th 07, 08:14 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.geo.geology
eyeball

On May 8, 8:43 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
[...]

What will NASA do when the surrender monkeys win the election?