II Zw 174/NGC 7241 A galaxy with blue "orbs"

Old April 27th 13, 06:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default II Zw 174/NGC 7241 A galaxy with blue "orbs"

II Zw 174/NGC 7241 is a very strange edge on galaxy in Pegasus about 50
million light-years from us by redshift. The CGPG says of it: "Edge-on
spiral, tremendous absorption lane and various large blue compact
patches." I'd say that sums it up rather well. It has little central
bulge so is rather flat. Not flat enough to make the Flat Galaxy
Catalog but it is in the 2MASS version of IR strong flat galaxies (2MFGC
16794). Their flatness requirements are not as strict. The core is
very strange with those blue blobs floating around. They remind me of a
neighbor who keeps seeing dust "orbs" in her flash photos and thinks
they are ghosts of her deceased husband, a daughter and her pet dogs and
cats. She's known around here as "The crazy lady down the way."

It's companion UGC 11964 is a featureless flat galaxy that did make the
FGC as entry 2379. It too is about 50 million light-years away by
redshift so a true companion. While I'd like to blame the oddities of
II Zw 174 on interaction with it, it is so featureless I can't see that
there's ever been any interaction. More likely the odd appearance of II
Zw 174 is due to some hapless companion that strayed too close and is
still being "digested" by the galaxy. However a very old paper, 1984
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/n...osetcook ie=1
says VLA data indicates there's a hidden companion behind II Zw 174. At
that time the idea of galaxies feeding on each other wasn't well
accepted. I couldn't find anything newer on it however.

NED classes II Zw 174 as SB(s)bc? pec. The NGC project agrees saying
SBbc/P using its system. It is also in the Kiso Ultra violet excess
Catalog (KUG 2213+189B). This would support a tremendous amount of star
formation going on in the galaxy. UGC 11964 is listed by NED as simply
Sd though some other sources say Sc. Considering how featureless it is
(at least visually) I can understand the differences.

NED has no redshift data on any other galaxy in my image and only lists
13 others (all from the 2MASS) in the field though I see several hundred
anonymous galaxies.

I see faint hints of scattered stars well outside the galaxy, especially
to the southeast. I'd planned on taking a lot more data, and in fact
did take over twice what I used. Unfortunately, I didn't give up until
long after I should have so ended up throwing out a lot. Thus I wasn't
able to show but a hint of what I think should be seen to the southeast.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=5x10' RGB=2x10' (some rather poor), STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7241L5X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	4586  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7241L5X10RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	4587