Astro: A warped galaxy

Old May 7th 08, 07:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default Astro: A warped galaxy

NGC 3079 and NGC 3073 are a pair of interacting galaxies. NGC 3079 is
the big one in the center. To the right of it and down a bit is NGC
3073. The small blue spiral is CGCG 265-055. The two NGC galaxies are
at a distance of 59 and 57 million light years (7073 and 7079
respectively. CGCG 265-055 is 64 million light years and while
apparently related isn't considered to be interacting from the notes I
can find on NED. Odd as its very blue color would indicate massive star
formation which is a sign of interaction. Yet 7073 shows less blue and
thus less star formation going on. NGC 7079 however shows major signs
of interaction. Its disk is severely warped. It appears like the core
is bouncing up and down (or right to left at my view angle) like a
rubber sheet and has been caught far to the left. I find papers citing
NGC 3073 having a young stellar population indicating rapid star
formation is going on. Yet I see only a slight sign of it in the photo
judging by its weak blue color while CGCG 265-055 shows the obvious
signs of such star birth. Yet it isn't mentioned in the papers I saw.
I'm confused.

To the left near the top of NGC 3079 is a quasar with a light travel
distance of about 9.5 billion light years. Sure is bright for being
that far away. I've attached a cropped version showing its location.

Turns out there's a far more interesting quasar about half a field south
of the bottom of this image. It will have to wait for next year
unfortunately.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3079L4X10RGB2X10X3R1.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	1907  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3079L4X10RGB2X10X3RQSO.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1908