Focal Reducer for the Sun?

Old June 7th 04, 03:07 PM
RS

Default Focal Reducer for the Sun?

Hi,
I'm using an 8" F/10 SCT (Meade LX90). Normally the disk of the sun
fits just fine in my FOV, however I am now using a a CCD camera that,
because of the chip size, blows the image scale way up. Can I use a
focal reducer on bring it back down somewhat? I have use the reducer
on deep sky objects, but I just wonder if there are any special
concerns when using it on the sun. BTW, I am using a Thousand Oaks
Type +2 glass white light solar filter.

Thanks.
Old June 7th 04, 03:17 PM
Paul Hyndman

You should be fine. The filter is prior to the optics and serves also as an
ERF (energy rejection filter). Just make sure the filter remains firmly in
place during the session, and keep the finder scope capped to stave off a
major uh-oh!

Cheers,

Paul

http://www.astro-nut.com/sun.html