Parallel computing

Old October 19th 03, 12:58 AM

Default Parallel computing

I'v just networked the retired computers in my home with my current
one and would like to try running them as one.. They are all working
on SETI but I would like to try connecting them in parallel to see how
fast I can get the work units done. I downloaded a program for windows
and installed it but it requires set up in dos and when I try to
follow the instructions I get an error message that the command I type
in is not recognised, but the word in the error message has an N in
fornt of the word I type.

Is there a program that installs and runs like the usual type of
windows program? As is probably obvious my knowledge of this area is
not great,

Thanks
Mike

Old October 19th 03, 01:28 AM
Reason

I believe a much greater efficiency is to be gained by running a different
work unit on each machine. Why are you trying to make a relatively simple
task so fiendishly complicated?

Old October 19th 03, 06:18 PM
Martin

wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I am already running the command line cli on
all computers, I just thought it would be interesting to see how it
would work. I knew I had a very limited knowledge of the subject, now
I know I have even less than I thought

Look up Beowulf and Beowolf...

Here's one taster (first off Google)
http://dune.mcs.kent.edu/~farrell/equip/beowolf/

And then there are all the other distributed computing projects...

Have fun,
Martin

--
---------- Give a man a fish and you have fed him for today.
- Martin - Teach him how to fish and he won't bother you for weeks!