Commentary on Pascal

Old June 23rd 11, 08:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Commentary on Pascal

"The reason, therefore, that some intuitive minds are not
mathematical is that they cannot at all turn their attention to the
principles of mathematics. But the reason that mathematicians are not
intuitive is that they do not see what is before them, and that,
accustomed to the exact and plain principles of mathematics, and not
reasoning till they have well inspected and arranged their principles,
they are lost in matters of intuition where the principles do not
allow of such arrangement. They are scarcely seen; they are felt
rather than seen; there is the greatest difficulty in making them felt
by those who do not of themselves perceive them. These principles are
so fine and so numerous that a very delicate and very clear sense is
needed to perceive them, and to judge rightly and justly when they are
perceived, without for the most part being able to demonstrate them in
order as in mathematics, because the principles are not known to us in
the same way, and because it would be an endless matter to undertake
it. We must see the matter at once, at one glance, and not by a
process of reasoning, at least to a certain degree. And thus it is
rare that mathematicians are intuitive and that men of intuition are
mathematicians, because mathematicians wish to treat matters of
intuition mathematically and make themselves ridiculous, wishing to
begin with definitions and then with axioms, which is not the way to
proceed in this kind of reasoning. Not that the mind does not do so,
but it does it tacitly, naturally, and without technical rules; for
the expression of it is beyond all men, and only a few can feel it."
Pascal , Pensees

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl3...a.html#SECTION

This is timely as it gets to the heart of creativity,somebody of the
stature of Beethoven does not add one note to the next note i n order
to create a composition but sees the outlines of a work ,builds and
rebuilds until the finished work takes form,he even wrote so himself -

"I carry my thoughts about with me for a long time... before writing
them down... once I have grasped a theme. I shall not forget it even
years later. I change many things, discard others, and try again and
again until I am satisfied; then, in my head... [the work] rises, it
grows, I hear and see the image in front of me from every angle... and
only the labor of writing it down remains... I turn my ideas into
tones that resound, roar, and rage until at last they stand before me
in the form of notes." Beethoven

The structure of the human timekeeping system in tandem with planetary
dynamics is balanced in such a way that a person may glimpse one facet
of the scheme before applying it to another side,for instance,the
additional extra day of Feb 29th aids understanding of the proportion
of rotations for each orbital circuit which in turn helps aid
understanding of the natural noon cycle and from there to the 24 hour
cycle.

An astronomer takes immense satisfaction from moving between levels
and topics and there are so many,like an never ending musical
composition that delights each time it builds and rebuilds.

Newton was only a young man when Pascal noted the problem of
mathematicians trying to define everything when it is impossible to do
so and when you decide to define time,space and motion for everyone
and the followers run berserk with these things,they we have the
current tragedy where nothing is getting done.

The incalcitrant behavior of observers ,at least from my
perspective,is the unwillingness or the inability to undo the damage
caused by creating an artificial platform of axioms and definitions
which as not just spurious but simply ridiculous.Is there one person
that needs time,space and motion defined for them,if they do then they
do not belong anywhere near astronomy and so it is with empiricists
who have spent an entire century making a fuss over absolute/relative
time,space and motion.

An astronomer and certainly a creative one,works like Beethoven in not
being afraid but to venture into the stormy seas of Christian thought
and deed.

Old June 23rd 11, 11:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Jun 23, 12:46*pm, oriel36 wrote:

The incalcitrant behavior of observers ,at least from my
perspective...

You have shown us countless times over that you have not the slightest
concept of perspective at all...