OM corrects a major personal oversight...

Old November 14th 04, 05:39 AM
OM

Default OM corrects a major personal oversight...

....This evening, I unretired an old pizzabox system to serve one
purpose and one purpose alone: a home game server. A system set aside
and dedicated to hosting Unreal Tournament maps, skins and other
distractions for yours truly when I actually have time to be amused by
such things. As with most of my systems, I tend to give them Astronaut
names that fit their personalities:

Glenn - The Living Room Media Center - AKA, the TV
Shepard - My Bedside Box. Provides news and entertainment, but also
happens to be where I have to deal with spam.
Grissom - Identical to Shepard, but the second system built. Has a
missing side panel.
Carpenter - Has a flaky video card that refuses to switch video modes
on occasion
Schirra - My business notebook. Purely business.
Slayton - Has a video capture card that refuses to work if more than
99MB of RAM is loaded. Also has a faulty MB thermostat that shuts the
entire system down even if it's turned off in BIOS, *unless* the video
capture card is working. Fibrulations, natch.
Cooper - My overloaded music server, more drives than the P/S knows
what to do with, but still keeps on running.

....However, after looking at systems one thru seven, I realized I'd
used up the Original Seven astros for system names. The three main
servers - KSC, JSC and Gagarin - as well as the dual monitor box -
Conrad - and the DVD burner box - Bean - also took up good names. So,
while puzzling out which of the Next Nine to honor, I thought about
how flaky this old box was, and how, while it could run fine as a UT
server, it could never actually play the game worth a ****. And then
it hit me. So, about five minutes ago, the Original 7 were joined by
the unofficial 8th Astronaut.

Yup. I just named a game server after Jose Jimenez.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 14th 04, 07:03 AM
Robert Casey

OM wrote:

...This evening, I unretired an old pizzabox system to serve one
purpose and one purpose alone: a home game server. A system set aside
and dedicated to hosting Unreal Tournament maps, skins and other
distractions for yours truly when I actually have time to be amused by
such things. As with most of my systems, I tend to give them Astronaut
names that fit their personalities:

Glenn - The Living Room Media Center - AKA, the TV
Shepard - My Bedside Box. Provides news and entertainment, but also
happens to be where I have to deal with spam.
Grissom - Identical to Shepard, but the second system built. Has a
missing side panel.
Carpenter - Has a flaky video card that refuses to switch video modes
on occasion

In a book about the space program to land on the Moon,
(I think it was) Chris Kraft wrote, it seems that 6 of the
7 astronauts did their work pretty well. But he essentially
rips Carpenter a new a-hole. Did Carpenter really do that
bad a job as astronaut? Or maybe Chris and Carpenter didn't
get along?...
Old November 15th 04, 07:12 PM
Ami Silberman

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
link.net...
In a book about the space program to land on the Moon,
(I think it was) Chris Kraft wrote, it seems that 6 of the
7 astronauts did their work pretty well. But he essentially
rips Carpenter a new a-hole. Did Carpenter really do that
bad a job as astronaut? Or maybe Chris and Carpenter didn't
get along?...

Kraft and Carpenter didn't seem to get along. Part of the problem seems to
be that Kraft was ****ed at Carpenter about an earlier incident that not
only Carpenter wasn't at fault for, but he wasn't even involved in. (IIRC,
whoever was backing someone up on something didn't do a good job, and Kraft
thought it was Carpenter, even though it was another astro. Don't remember
the details to well.) I've done the same myself.

Kraft, and ground control in general, didn't realize how packed the the
mission was with things to do. They overlooked Carpenter's comments about
difficulties in maintaining attitude, and only became aware of the fuel
shortage on the third orbit. In addition, the human factors engineering of
the Mercury control system made it quite easy to accidentally set up the
controls with dual authority, which is what led to the fuel problems.

My personal reading (having read both their books) is that Kraft didn't
understand what was going on as well as he thought he did, and no one, at
the time, realized how difficult working in space was, even within a
capsule. Carpenter's flight was by no means a carbon copy of Glenn's, even
though it was the same duration.

You should try Carpenter's book -- For Spacious Skys, it is quite good.

Old November 15th 04, 11:00 PM
Derek Lyons

"Ami Silberman" wrote:
Kraft, and ground control in general, didn't realize how packed the the
mission was with things to do. They overlooked Carpenter's comments about
difficulties in maintaining attitude

That seems to be an ongoing problem, a fundamental disconnect between
the ground and astronauts.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 16th 04, 12:07 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
That seems to be an ongoing problem, a fundamental disconnect between
the ground and astronauts.

Ground control to Major Tom...

Old November 16th 04, 05:50 AM
Robert Casey

You should try Carpenter's book -- For Spacious Skys, it is quite good.

Suprizingly my local town library has a copy (they usually
toss anything not borrowed in 5 years) and placed an order
to borrow it.
Old November 16th 04, 07:53 AM
OM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:12:30 -0500, "Ami Silberman"
wrote:

My personal reading (having read both their books) is that Kraft didn't
understand what was going on as well as he thought he did, and no one, at
the time, realized how difficult working in space was, even within a
capsule. Carpenter's flight was by no means a carbon copy of Glenn's, even
though it was the same duration.

....There is my own personal theory as to another contribution to
Carpenter's problems. Having listened to the downlink audio and
Carpenter's tone of voice during some of his "confusion" episodes, I
for one wonder if it's possible that what was perceived as a loss of
coherency was more a loss of communications uplink from Houston. Some
of the "distracted" nature of Carpenter's dialog was very much the
same sort of tone that McDivitt and White had during White's space
walk; CapCom's orders to terminate the EVA getting "ignored" because
the uplink wasn't getting through, period.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 14th 04, 12:06 PM
Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker (zili@home)

Am Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:39:29 -0600 schrieb "OM":

...This evening, I unretired an old pizzabox system to serve one
[...]
Yup. I just named a game server after Jose Jimenez.

If you had asked us for a name, and hadn't already decided yourself
nominating Dana, I probably would have mentioned the same choice for
you to take :-)

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)
--
"Abusus non tollit usum" - Latin: Abuse is no argument against proper use.

mailto: http://zili.de
Old November 14th 04, 01:14 PM
Pat Flannery

Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker (zili@home) wrote:

If you had asked us for a name, and hadn't already decided yourself
nominating Dana, I probably would have mentioned the same choice for
you to take :-)

Next two: Schmidlap and Hoffman.
"I said 'good morning, Schmidlap' and he knocked all my teeth out.
Do you have any idea how you _smell_, Schmidlap?"
-from "Way,Way,Out" :-)

Old November 14th 04, 04:27 PM
OM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:14:20 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Next two: Schmidlap and Hoffman.

....The former is more famous for being the Commodore who invented the
dehydrator device that Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman used to
kidnap the United World Security Council members in 1966. The latter
used to ride bicycles while doped up on protoLSD.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr