...Top Ten Discoveries of Hubble Space Telescope

Old November 3rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
jonathan

Default ...Top Ten Discoveries of Hubble Space Telescope

National Geographic

Hubble's Top Ten Discoveries
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...leries/hubble/

Question, is it worth $900 million to extend
Hubble for approx five additional years?

To the vast majority of Americans, this $900 million will
do little more than provide ...another ten... really cool
screen save pics.

I have nothing against pure science. But it shouldn't be
considered a higher priority than projects that will
have an impact on those outside the ivory towers
of the elite researchers.

How many other real world problems could almost a
billion dollars help solve?

We are talking about telescope time that costs
$325,000 each and every night for the five
additional years.

Add to that the hundreds of billions to be spent
to go back to the moon, so we can someday
colonize mars. And we have an agency that
is dedicated to spending money on projects
any sane rational person would place LAST
of the list of our national priorities.

If Nasa cannot be dismantled, as it deserves, it
should at least be renamed.

Main Entry: lu·na·cy
Etymology: lunatic
1 a : INSANITY
b : intermittent insanity once believed to be
related to phases of the moon
2 : wild foolishness : extravagant folly
3 : a foolish act

Old November 3rd 06, 06:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Sorcerer[_4_]

"jonathan" wrote in message
.. .
| National Geographic
|
| Hubble's Top Ten Discoveries
| http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...leries/hubble/
|
| Question, is it worth $900 million to extend
| Hubble for approx five additional years?

Population 300,000,000, cost per person per year = 60c.
That's between 1c and 2c a week and closer to 1c.
Yes, it is worth spending, a cup of coffee costs $1.00
and a thank you. That's $547,500,000,000.
You can save that by drinking water instead and not say
"thank you". You're welcome.

| To the vast majority of Americans, this $900 million will
| do little more than provide ...another ten... really cool
| screen save pics.

Which they could have spent on buttered popcorn and gotten
fatter.

| I have nothing against pure science. But it shouldn't be
| considered a higher priority than projects that will
| have an impact on those outside the ivory towers
| of the elite researchers.
| How many other real world problems could almost a
| billion dollars help solve?

A cup of coffee for five Chinese to share. Once. Rumour is
they are fitter than Americans and prefer tea.

| We are talking about telescope time that costs
| $325,000 each and every night for the five
| additional years.

Ok, how much popcorn per person will that buy?

| Add to that the hundreds of billions to be spent
| to go back to the moon, so we can someday
| colonize mars.

Yes. You'd better plan on it when 10,000,000,000 Chinese
want your grandchildren's popcorn even without butter and
will die to get it 40 years from now. Rumour has it that
North Korea has a little bomb, albeit 60 years later than yours.
Communism died out in the USSR in 70 years, time for a
new cold war. See if you can start one.

And we have an agency that
| is dedicated to spending money on projects
| any sane rational person would place LAST
| of the list of our national priorities.

And you are the only sane one, huh?

| If Nasa cannot be dismantled, as it deserves, it
| should at least be renamed.

Sure, call it the "Jonathan Save the World and Give Popcorn Away Agency".
The scientists and engineers at NASA can all become popcorn farmers.

| Main Entry: lu·na·cy
| Etymology: lunatic
| 1 a : INSANITY
| b : intermittent insanity once believed to be
| related to phases of the moon
| 2 : wild foolishness : extravagant folly
| 3 : a foolish act
4: Thinking you can change the world by giving away popcorn.
Androcles

Old November 4th 06, 04:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
jonathan

"Sorcerer" wrote in message
. uk...

"jonathan" wrote in message
.. .
| National Geographic
|
| Hubble's Top Ten Discoveries
| http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...leries/hubble/
|
| Question, is it worth $900 million to extend
| Hubble for approx five additional years?

Population 300,000,000, cost per person per year = 60c.
That's between 1c and 2c a week and closer to 1c.
Yes, it is worth spending, a cup of coffee costs $1.00
and a thank you. That's $547,500,000,000.
You can save that by drinking water instead and not say
"thank you". You're welcome.

If every budget request was analyzed in this
way, would you care to guess the results?

Everything everyone wanted would pass.
Your respons is just not an appropriate
reason. There needs to be a proper set
of priorities when spending public money.
This is govt 101.

Jonathan

Old November 4th 06, 06:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Sorcerer[_4_]

"jonathan" wrote in message

| "Sorcerer" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| "jonathan" wrote in message
| .. .
| | National Geographic
| |
| | Hubble's Top Ten Discoveries
| | http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...leries/hubble/
| |
| | Question, is it worth $900 million to extend
| | Hubble for approx five additional years?
|
| Population 300,000,000, cost per person per year = 60c.
| That's between 1c and 2c a week and closer to 1c.
| Yes, it is worth spending, a cup of coffee costs $1.00
| and a thank you. That's $547,500,000,000.
| You can save that by drinking water instead and not say
| "thank you". You're welcome.
|

| If every budget request was analyzed

Oops. My post underwent a budget cut.
Did you snip something to say, ****wit?