Viewing launches from Savannah?

Old February 9th 04, 07:37 PM
Bob Martin

Default Viewing launches from Savannah?

Is it possible to view KSC launches from Savannah? I figure due-east
launches will be impossible to see, but high-inclination ones might
be. I've heard that shuttle launches to the ISS were visible,
especially at night. Anyone know for sure?
Old February 10th 04, 02:10 AM
LooseChanj

On or about 9 Feb 2004 11:37:48 -0800, Bob Martin made the sensational claim that:
Is it possible to view KSC launches from Savannah? I figure due-east
launches will be impossible to see, but high-inclination ones might
be. I've heard that shuttle launches to the ISS were visible,
especially at night. Anyone know for sure?

I've got a video someone in NJ shot of a MECO. That was extreme, he was in
night, shuttle was in daylight. I'm not sure about day launches, but you
could almost definately see a night ISS launch. Too bad it looks like they
won't be doing those for awhile.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old February 10th 04, 04:32 PM
Henry Spencer

Bob Martin wrote:
Is it possible to view KSC launches from Savannah? I figure due-east
launches will be impossible to see, but high-inclination ones might...

What about other launches? I'm planning on actually going to Florida
for shuttle launches, but for other vehicles (Delta, Atlas, Titan,
etc) I want to try and watch them from here.

Depends on what orbit they're launching to. However, the news in this
area is bad: most US high-inclination launches fly from Vandenberg in
California, not the Cape, since Vandenberg can go all the way to polar
orbit while the Cape hits range-safety overflight limits at around 57deg
inclination. Payloads which *want* intermediate inclinations are actually
not that common, so shuttle launches are about it for high-inclination
launches from the Cape. Most everything else launching from there goes
due east.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |