"Spirit" has a major problem.

Old January 25th 04, 06:41 AM
Derek Lyons

"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Which is weird because my yahoo box has dropped to manageable
levels.... Add a spamtrap.

They want money for that

Sorry, that should have read 'add a spamtrap to your adress as
published on usenet'.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old January 25th 04, 07:11 AM
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:
Derek Lyons wrote:

That's not really a good example, as the strainers were not part of
the design. They were added by the builder on his own hook.

I didn't know that part of the story...

It's not often told... as exceeding specs is usually regarded as a
Good Thing, but in this instance it wasn't.

that design change sounds like something that Rickover would go
completely ballistic over...

It's unclear how influential he was in designing the 593's. Sources
are really unclear how extensive his influence was. At any rate,
Rickover worked hard to distance himself from the accident. (And
quietly changed the reactor operating procedures anyhow.)

what I always thought was ironic was that a device that is supposed to
improve the sub's safety is at least partially responsible for sinking it.

As Henry says, complexity in pursuit of safety is no virtue.

There is another case something like this I can think of off the top of
my head...Lockheed didn't realize that the canopy of the U-2 actually
got stronger as the height increased and the air temperature dropped.
This led to the aircraft's ejection seat starting up its rails, striking
the canopy, and bouncing right back down into the cockpit:
http://www.ejectionsite.com/u2seat.htm

And folks wonder why the military tests the **** out of everything.

D.

Old January 25th 04, 01:19 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
As Henry says, complexity in pursuit of safety is no virtue.

This was my original point in another thread when I brought up building
codes. Florida went from the Southern Standard Building Code, a fat trade
paperback, to its current mess, five 3 ring binders, the smallest of which
is 2". I don't feel any safer- less so, in fact, because now there are far
more ways to screw up.

Old January 25th 04, 03:34 PM
Hallerb

codes. Florida went from the Southern Standard Building Code, a fat trade
paperback, to its current mess, five 3 ring binders, the smallest of which
is 2". I don't feel any safer- less so,

Well the rules were designed to help prevent home damage in severe weather.
Ever see a entire town flattened but some houses survive? sometimes just small
differences like tying the roof to the studs were what made the difference.

the building codes are a pain but there to prevent troubles later. not only
that but houses that are moree resistant to damage can help keep insurance
costs down for everyone.
Old January 25th 04, 08:03 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
Well the rules were designed to help prevent home damage in severe

weather.

Facts not in evidence. *Read them* and see.

Furthermore, there is no evidence whatsoever that the existing rules were a
problem What *was* a problem was poor workmanship, and more rules won't fix
that.

Ever see a entire town flattened but some houses survive?

Several times.

sometimes just small
differences like tying the roof to the studs were what made the

difference.

That was already in the existing code- but it *doesn't* mean it was done.
Having a rule does not mean it will be followed. After all, aren't their
rules against cheating? But it's still done.

the building codes are a pain but there to prevent troubles later.

Some of them are. Some of them are the result of lobbying by maufacturers or
homeowner's associations.

that but houses that are moree resistant to damage can help keep insurance
costs down for everyone.

Which has more to do with *materials and workmanship* than with rules,
although the current rulebooks are large enough that they could increase
safety by tossing them on the roof to hold it down.

Old January 26th 04, 12:52 AM
Jochem Huhmann

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" writes:

Years ago a college buddy showed me a drawing he made while he was tripping
on acid.

That picture alone convinced me to never do acid.

Funny, recently I ran into this (it happened in an US government
setting, though): http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip1.html

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
Old January 26th 04, 05:10 AM
Pat Flannery

Jochem Huhmann wrote:

Funny, recently I ran into this (it happened in an US government
setting, though): http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip1.html

Those notes on the status of the artist during the trip are a riot to
read; but I actually rather liked the the three pictures that proceeded
the last one.
But then the trip went horribly bad, and the unshown last drawing should
have been a warning to us all:
http://kenwestphal.com/MEDIA/caricature/Nixon.jpg

Pat

Old January 26th 04, 11:08 AM
Paul Blay

"Jochem Huhmann" wrote ...
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" writes:

Years ago a college buddy showed me a drawing he made while he was tripping
on acid.

That picture alone convinced me to never do acid.

Funny, recently I ran into this (it happened in an US government
setting, though): http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip1.html

I think number 6 would sell.
http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip6.html
Old January 26th 04, 12:32 PM
Pat Flannery

Paul Blay wrote:

I think number 6 would sell.
http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip6.html

7 ain't bad either:
http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip7.html
.... although it reminds me of George Washington kissing Lady Liberty for
some reason.
Or maybe it's bats ****ing....

Pat

Old January 26th 04, 09:41 PM
Ami Silberman

Just look at some Hieronymus Bosch and Salvador Dali paintings- that's
about what they look like.

Years ago a college buddy showed me a drawing he made while he was

tripping
on acid.

That picture alone convinced me to never do acid.

I think this is similar.

On the other hand, Chagall used to do 'shrooms and then paint black velvet
paintings of Isaac Stern and Jascha Heifetz.