NOSS satellite(s) sightings

Old July 15th 03, 06:57 AM
Tony Vinci

Default NOSS satellite(s) sightings

New thread - continued from "What did I see?"
/
Well, another NOSS sightings report. I looked up the
sighting predictions for the 3 NOSS satellites that
I viewed last evening and they were scheduled to be
visible again this evening from my location here in
Las Vegas, Nevada. I couldn't wait. Right on schedule,
here they come out of the Northwestern sky headed to
the South. But wait a minute!!! There are only two!
What happened to the "leader" of last night's pass?
The (apparently) 2 trailing objects were in perfect
vertical alignment (relative to my view) but there was
no visible satellite out in front as there was yesterday.
I watched them for about 7 minutes, from 2209 to 2216
PDT. They passed right below Arcturus (to the West of)
and later passed over Antares on their way to the SSE
and out of sight. The visible mag of the 2 objects
were at least 1 mag difference (possibly a little more).
Yesterday all 3 objects seemed equal in magnitude to me.
These are indeed interesting objects (at least to me)!
I know that the 3rd object muct to have been there but
was just not visible however it really seemed like only
the 2 of them, having left their companion somewhere.
I am looking forward to seeing more of these guys and
watching their "changes" if any.
I went to "Heavens-Above" for the pass onfo and it seems
from the times listed that I saw NOSS 2-3 (C)&(E).
Eyes-UP!
(((disregard heading email address)))
email:
Tony
Old July 15th 03, 10:51 AM
Ed Cannon

Well, another NOSS sightings report. ... But wait a minute!!!
There are only two! What happened to the "leader" of last
night's pass?

I had a very similar NOSS 2-3 pass last night. The outlier
was brightest and was not too hard to see without binoculars;
the trailer (the one that follows the leader) was difficult
to see without magnification. But I could only see the
leader with my 10x50s; it was significantly fainter than the
trailer.

Note that on most passes throughout the year they are much
fainter and can be difficult to find with 10x50s. I have
found that the southbound evening passes during our summer
tend to be the brightest, and I recently saw a report of a
similarly bright northbound morning pass (maybe in the
southern hemisphere?).

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA

Old July 16th 03, 07:43 AM
Patty Winter

Okay, I think I finally saw a NOSS trio for the first time! Well,
I must have, because what else has three satellites moving together.
But I had assumed that they would form a small equilateral triangle.
Instead, what I saw was:

*

*

*

Is that really what they look like?

Patty

TDRS Satellites Paul Marsh Technology 0 May 14th 04 03:51 AM
Satellites thru the Orion Nebula Astro-Geek Amateur Astronomy 33 January 23rd 04 04:05 AM
Pentagon Using Spy Satellites To Check ISS For Damage Brian Gaff Space Station 9 December 5th 03 12:56 AM
NASA Satellites Eye Forest Fires Ron Baalke Technology 0 August 20th 03 08:02 PM