NGC 5068 A nearby spiral galaxy

Old April 6th 17, 06:20 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default NGC 5068 A nearby spiral galaxy

NGC 5068 is a face on, nearby spiral galaxy in southern Virgo. Redshift measurements are rather inaccurate for nearby galaxies. Using other methods NED comes up with a distance of 20 million light-years while others like Wikipedia say 22 million light-years. The galaxy has a lot of HII regions and O stars that are bright enough I should have picked them up but that didn't happen but for one HII region. The galaxy was discovered by William Herschel on March 10, 1785. It is in the second Herschel 400 Observing Program of the Astronomical League.

The galaxy is at 21 degrees south, 6 below my usual cutoff declination. On really good nights I can catch some detail this low. Unfortunately while the night started out fairly decent I started with color data when it was lowest but as it approached the meridian seeing kept getting worse so my usual tactic of capturing luminance nearest the meridian backfired with the red data taken lowest in the sky the best. Also transparency, never good this low, also went down hill so it doesn't go as deep as I normally do. This one is in dire need of a retake if seeing ever allows it.

For a HST image of the galaxies central region see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_50...8_HST_Wiki.jpg

The bright asteroid is 13th magnitude (247) Eukrate. It is most likely a carbonaceous asteroid. Radar data shows it to have a diameter of 83 ± 9 miles. It was discovered by Robert Luther on March 14, 1885. It is named for a sea nymph of Greek mythology.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5068L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	6552  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC5068L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	6553
Old April 7th 17, 09:49 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

that's funny, I just imaged this galaxy (with NGC 5084) at La Palma.
I hope my version turns out as well as yours.

Stefan
Old April 8th 17, 05:16 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I suspect you will do much better. I consider this one a failure. It has plenty of stars and HII regions I'd normally resolve even this low some would show up. Only one HII region came through well with two others hinted at. No stars were resolved due to the poor seeing. It started great but by even the second red frame it was going down hill rapidly. Was over 5" by the time luminance was taken. Blurring detail in the disk and merging the stars into the disk. Poor transparency just made things even worse. It's on my reshoot list if I ever get decent skies this low.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post