Sunrise

Old January 25th 12, 01:14 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Science Fan

Default Sunrise

What's the name of the phenomenon that causes the sun to continue to
rise later, even though the winter solstice has passed? TIA.
Old January 25th 12, 02:55 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Gavino

"Science Fan" wrote in message
What's the name of the phenomenon that causes the sun to continue to
rise later, even though the winter solstice has passed? TIA.

It's connected with the Equation of Time, and the analemma.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/moonkmft/...ionOfTime.html

Old January 25th 12, 03:23 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_68_]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time

Old January 25th 12, 03:25 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 25, 12:14*pm, Science Fan wrote:
What's the name of the phenomenon that causes the sun to continue to
rise later, even though the winter solstice has passed? *TIA.

Explaining observations like these requires building up a picture of
the motions behind it but sadly in this era,even when you can see
sunrise from space and a rotating Earth as the cause,the dominant view
is that there are 1465 rotations in 1461 days hence any explanations
you may receive are simply assertions without substance.

The wandering Sun crowd would have you believe that they can explain
that particular conceptual monster even though there are 1461 natural
noon cycles covering 4 circuits of the Earth,so that from Mar 1st 2010
until Feb 28th 2011 there will be 365 natural noon cycles and from
Mar1st 2011 until Feb 29th 2012 there are 366 natural noon cycles and
these guys will drive themselves silly trying to fit the analemma into
the human format which overlays the natural proportion of 1461 daily
rotations for 4 orbital circuits.

Ask a simple question,if you set aside the daily rotation of the
Earth,would the Earth keep the same face to the Sun as the moon does
to the Earth or would it rotate once over the course of a year.The
answer is at the North/South poles where rotation is to all intents
and purposes entirely absent.Then you will start to get a picture of
the answer you seek.It is,in fact,a great puzzle for anyone and hasn't
been developed in any detailed way so good luck to you is you feel you
can take on a way to come to an enjoyable conclusion.
Old January 25th 12, 03:54 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 25, 2:23*pm, "Androcles" wrote:
"Science Fan" wrote in message

| What's the name of the phenomenon that causes the sun to continue to
| rise later, even though the winter solstice has passed? *TIA.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time

The Equation of Time cannot be explained by using the daily and
orbital dynamics of the Earth as there are 1461 natural noon cycles in
4 orbital circuits of the Earth corresponding to 1461 full days of 24
hours.

Flinging web references at the guy,and especially that convoluted junk
found in Wikipedia, merely exposes the inability to put the noon
correction between the natural cycle and the 24 hour cycle in context
of the system containing 1461 such corrections.

Old January 25th 12, 06:49 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Jan 25, 6:54*am, oriel36 wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:23*pm, "Androcles" wrote:

"Science Fan" wrote in message

| What's the name of the phenomenon that causes the sun to continue to
| rise later, even though the winter solstice has passed? *TIA.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time

The Equation of Time cannot be explained by using the daily and
orbital dynamics of the Earth as there are 1461 natural noon cycles in
4 orbital circuits of the Earth corresponding to 1461 full days of 24
hours.

Flinging web references at the guy,and especially that convoluted junk
found in Wikipedia, merely exposes *the inability to put the noon
correction between the natural cycle and the 24 hour cycle in context
of the system containing 1461 such corrections.

Sorry, Gerald, this is way, way beyond your capabilities.

You have your cranial calculator so permanently embedded in its rectal
storage facility that you may never again learn anything new.

As someone famous once said, 'A little knowledge is a dangerous
thing'.

\Paul A
Old January 25th 12, 07:00 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 1/25/12 6:14 AM, Science Fan wrote:

What's the name of the phenomenon that causes the sun to continue to
rise later, even though the winter solstice has passed? TIA.

The earth's orbit is elliptical, as a result sunrise, solar noon and
sunset get ahead and behind. The eccentricity of the earth orbit and
the obliquity of the ecliptic are the largest factors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time
Old January 25th 12, 07:01 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_68_]

"palsing" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 6:54 am, oriel36 wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:23 pm, "Androcles" wrote:

"Science Fan" wrote in message

| What's the name of the phenomenon that causes the sun to continue to
| rise later, even though the winter solstice has passed? TIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time

The Equation of Time cannot be explained by using the daily and
orbital dynamics of the Earth as there are 1461 natural noon cycles in
4 orbital circuits of the Earth corresponding to 1461 full days of 24
hours.

Flinging web references at the guy,and especially that convoluted junk
found in Wikipedia, merely exposes the inability to put the noon
correction between the natural cycle and the 24 hour cycle in context
of the system containing 1461 such corrections.

Sorry, Gerald, this is way, way beyond your capabilities.

You have your cranial calculator so permanently embedded in its rectal
storage facility that you may never again learn anything new.

As someone famous once said, 'A little knowledge is a dangerous
thing'.

\Paul A
Year ago I did have the misfortune to encounter a moron that
insisted pi was 22/7. Same fixation on integers. Nothing can be
done for them, they are indoctrinated at an early age and just
as convinced in Santa Claus.

Old January 25th 12, 07:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jan 25, 7:54*am, oriel36 wrote:

The Equation of Time cannot be explained by using the daily and
orbital dynamics of the Earth

In that case, I suppose I would have to revise this page on my web
site:

http://www.quadibloc.com/science/eot.htm

John Savard
Old January 25th 12, 07:55 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Jan 25, 10:01*am, "Androcles" wrote:

Year ago I did have the misfortune to encounter a moron that
insisted pi was 22/7. Same fixation on integers. Nothing can be
done for them, they are indoctrinated at an early age and just
as convinced in Santa Claus.

***********************
Years ago I used to read Scientific American, and would turn to Martin
Gardner's column first. I loved his puzzles and great math stories.
Anyhow, it was Gardner's mythical Dr. Matrix who talked about a ratio
of integers that produced pi accurate to at least 5 places. Take the
easy-to-remember series 113355 and divide the last 3 numbers by the
first 3, that's it.

Of course, most of us have no problem simply remembering pi to 5
places, but still...

\Paul A

Three planets just before sunrise Joe S.[_5_] Amateur Astronomy 4 September 21st 07 01:52 AM
sunrise sunset mewthree Misc 4 March 16th 07 06:13 PM
Sunrise on Clavius William C. Keel Amateur Astronomy 2 February 26th 07 05:21 PM
sunrise angle [email protected] UK Astronomy 7 January 20th 07 12:35 PM