Red Moon?

Old August 7th 03, 11:52 PM
Andrew Farmer

Default Red Moon?

Probably a real simple question.
I noticed tonight that the moon was a strange orange/red colour.
It seems to have got redder and darker as the night has gone on.

What is the reason for this?
I know it happens during a lunar eclipse but was not aware of one tonight.

Thanks
Andrew

Old August 8th 03, 12:11 AM
aj

"Andrew Farmer" wrote in message
Probably a real simple question.
I noticed tonight that the moon was a strange orange/red colour.
It seems to have got redder and darker as the night has gone on.

What is the reason for this?
I know it happens during a lunar eclipse but was not aware of one tonight.

Thanks
Andrew

its been the same here for a couple of nights (west Cumbria) i thought it
was something to do with the sea mist we are getting in the late evenings?

Old August 8th 03, 05:17 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Andrew Farmer wrote:
What is the reason for this?

Particulate matter in the atmosphere. It was the same a couple of nights
back. We need a good storm or two to get the muck out.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +

Old August 8th 03, 09:59 AM
martian

"Andrew Farmer" wrote in message ...
Probably a real simple question.
I noticed tonight that the moon was a strange orange/red colour.
It seems to have got redder and darker as the night has gone on.

What is the reason for this?
I know it happens during a lunar eclipse but was not aware of one tonight.

Thanks
Andrew

Viewed from NE London on Thurday night, the moon was dirty orange and
I'm assuming that this was due to the photochemical smog which has
been getting worse each day during the hot spell.

Its interesting to note that this morning's news headlines concentrate
on the marginal increase in breast cancer attributable to hormone
replacement therapy whilst the effects of sun-baked car fumes on the
respiratory systems of a whole population will probably never be
quantified.

please mention Mars in body of e-mail or you'll be trashed

Old August 9th 03, 12:14 AM
A. Edwards

Err - Eva mumbled something like:
"martian" wrote in message
om...
"Andrew Farmer" wrote in message

Probably a real simple question.
I noticed tonight that the moon was a strange orange/red colour.
It seems to have got redder and darker as the night has gone on.

What is the reason for this?
I know it happens during a lunar eclipse but was not aware of one
tonight.

Thanks
Andrew

Viewed from NE London on Thurday night, the moon was dirty orange and
I'm assuming that this was due to the photochemical smog which has
been getting worse each day during the hot spell.

Could it perhaps be caused by the smoke from the fires on the
Continent? A similar phenomenon occurred in Fairbans, Alaska, in
1998, where the cause was said to be fires in Siberia.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D3AA13785

Eva

I don't suppose anyone has noticed the prepoderence of combine harvesters in
the fields lately?

Arthur

52:30:25N, 1:17:51E
http://www.ambermile.co.uk

---

Old August 9th 03, 05:49 AM
Stephen Tonkin

A. Edwards wrote:
I don't suppose anyone has noticed the prepoderence of combine
harvesters in the fields lately?

Sore point. Bloody tractor and wheat trailer backed into my car
yesterday (yes, I *was* in it at the time!).

Best,
Stephen

--