What does the sun sound like?

Old September 13th 06, 12:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Radium

Default What does the sun sound like?

Hi:

If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun? If so, what would
they sound like?

Thanks,

Radium

Old September 13th 06, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Richard Adams

Radium wrote:
Hi:

If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun? If so, what would
they sound like?

Thanks,

Radium

I remember an experiment, years ago, where I had a phototransistor
hooked up to a small amplifier and could go out into the sunlight and
listen to interesting sounds caused by photons striking the transistor.
As for sound on the surface(?) or in the atmosphere of the sun, I
expect it would sound like in inside of a cyclone.

Old September 13th 06, 12:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Sjouke Burry

Radium wrote:
Hi:

If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun? If so, what would
they sound like?

Thanks,

Radium

"sun sondwaves" ,179000 google hits.
Old September 13th 06, 12:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
canopus56[_1_]

Radium wrote:
If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun? If so, what would
they sound like?

You don't have to wait for the Earth's atmosphere to expand. Here's a
short synthetic audio clip of the sound of seimic waves moving through
the Sun -
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/spaces...ones_21sec.mpg
in -
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/spaces...nds/images.htm
at -
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/spaces...olarsounds.htm

When the waves reach the surface of the Sun, they can trigger solar
flares and "sun quakes" on the surface that look like this -

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/spaces...pics/film3.gif
1.9Mb

- Canopus56

Old September 13th 06, 02:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Sorcerer[_3_]

"Radium" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hi:
|
| If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
| the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
| sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun?

Yes. That is one of the arguments against aether.

| If so, what would
| they sound like?

Who knows? We'd never survive anyway, drag would pull
the Earth into the Sun but we'd fry long before that by
convected heat. The best answer I can give you is
"white noise".

Androcles.

Old September 13th 06, 02:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Radium

Sorcerer wrote:
"Radium" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hi:
|
| If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
| the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
| sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun?

Yes. That is one of the arguments against aether.

| If so, what would
| they sound like?

Who knows?

We'd never survive anyway, drag would pull
the Earth into the Sun

How would that happen?

Old September 13th 06, 06:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
robert casey

If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun? If so, what would
they sound like?

Just wait about 5 billion years and the Sun's atmosphere will expand out
to reach us. Come to think of it, if all of the Sun is gas, it's all
atmosphere....

It probably sounds like a really loud roar.
Old September 13th 06, 07:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Wally[_5_]

Radium wrote:

Hi:

If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun? If so, what would
they sound like?

Thanks,

Radium

Your question deserves a question - what are you looking for?
The sound of God? Some sound that has never been heard on Earth
before? Some sound humongous? The anger of the Gods? Whati f the
answer was: 'the same sound you hear on Earth listening to the winds
etc,
which happens to be moving precisely because of Solar activity
distributed
over the Earth's surface" ??? You tell me!

Old September 13th 06, 09:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article , Wally wrote:

Radium wrote:

Hi:

If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun? If so, what would
they sound like?

Thanks,

Radium

Your question deserves a question - what are you looking for?
The sound of God? Some sound that has never been heard on Earth
before? Some sound humongous? The anger of the Gods?

We already have such a natural sound - it's called "thunder"......
The weekday Thursday is the "day of Thor", the "god of thunder"....

Whati f the
answer was: 'the same sound you hear on Earth listening to the winds
etc,
which happens to be moving precisely because of Solar activity
distributed
over the Earth's surface" ??? You tell me!

Perhaps he was just curious and wanted to know how we might
perceive it? You seem a little provoked by the question itself....

Anyway....

It would most likely be inaudible infra-sound, i.e. sound with
frequencies well below 20 Hz. What does distant thunder sound like?
Quite low-pitched, like a rumble - right? And that distant thunder is
just only about 10 km away -- the effect would be even more pronounced
for a source of sound some 150 million km away!!!!

Another factor to consider: the sound waves would need some 140 years
to propagate from the Sun to the Earth! This is based on the
(unrealistic) assumption of a speed-of-sound the same as in out
atmosphere. But an atmosphere reaching as far as the Sun would
probably consist mostly of hydrogen, and also be much hotter. These
two effects would make the sound propagate much faster - but it would
still need at least some 10-15 years to propagate from the Sun to the
Earth!

So if sound waves really could propagate all the way from the Sun to
the Earth, the "solar sounds" we would "hear" now (or, more likely,
detect with equipment sensitive to infrasound) would have been
generated about one sunspot cycle ago!

Perhaps the "sounds from the Sun" would be similar to (but maybe
weaker than) the changing air pressure when high pressure and low
pressure centers pass by us. Since sound is nothing but changes in
air pressure, these slow changes in air pressure can be considered a
very low-pitched "sound" with a cycle time of several days, i.e. with
a frequency of a few micro-Hertz!

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old September 13th 06, 09:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.physics.relativity
Sorcerer[_3_]

"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Radium" wrote in message
| ups.com...
| | Hi:
| |
| | If all layers of earths atmosphere had the same thickness of air and
| | the atmosphere somehow grew large enough in diameter to include the
| | sun, would we hear the sounds produced by the sun?
|
| Yes. That is one of the arguments against aether.
|

| | If so, what would
| | they sound like?
|
| Who knows?
|
| We'd never survive anyway, drag would pull
| the Earth into the Sun
|
| How would that happen?

Mercury, Venus and the Moon would create atmospheric
turbulence, Mars would slow the atmosphere down.
That would slow the Earth and it would fall into the Sun.