Confederate Flag??????

Old June 15th 06, 02:12 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

Default Confederate Flag??????

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13301674/

begin quote

Those who follow the space memorabilia trade say space veterans often sign
hundreds of items stacked on tables in front of them, and may sometimes
pay little attention to what they are scribbling on.

Chiao said that certifying such items in space and signing them later when
back on Earth is a widespread Russian practice.

end quote

Authentic or Fake?

Here's a photo of a cosmonaut signing a flag back here on Earth.

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...6/02154202.jpg

Is that Benjamin sitting on the table next to him?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old June 15th 06, 02:46 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:12:59 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13301674/

begin quote

Those who follow the space memorabilia trade say space veterans often sign
hundreds of items stacked on tables in front of them, and may sometimes
pay little attention to what they are scribbling on.

Chiao said that certifying such items in space and signing them later when
back on Earth is a widespread Russian practice.

end quote

Authentic or Fake?

Here's a photo of a cosmonaut signing a flag back here on Earth.

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...6/02154202.jpg

Is that Benjamin sitting on the table next to him?

Other links:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1132

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...0/23203204.jpg

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...0/23203123.jpg

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old June 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:46:22 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

[...]

Here's Benjamin again:

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...6/02175905.jpg

Looks like the going rate is three bills.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old June 15th 06, 03:40 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

Here's Benjamin again:
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...6/02175905.jpg
Looks like the going rate is three bills.

As far as I can tell from the low resolution, this one looks more like
George than Benjamin.

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...6/02154202.jpg

That seems to be our old boy Benjamin.

If it is really different in the two photos, the plot thickens...

(See
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/4
if you are baffled by these elliptical references or want to test
your powers of photographic interpretation).
Old June 15th 06, 06:12 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

Craig Fink wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13301674/

begin quote

Those who follow the space memorabilia trade say space veterans often sign
hundreds of items stacked on tables in front of them, and may sometimes
pay little attention to what they are scribbling on.

Chiao said that certifying such items in space and signing them later when
back on Earth is a widespread Russian practice.

end quote

Authentic or Fake?

The denials sound authoritative, but there is still the matter of that
photograph proported to have been taken on board ISS. I looked
at it on PaintShopPro and wasn't able to discern anything obvious
that indicated it was a fake. I'm not an image analysis expert
my any means, mind you.

- Ed Kyle

Old June 16th 06, 02:14 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:12:31 -0700, Ed Kyle wrote:

Craig Fink wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13301674/

begin quote

Those who follow the space memorabilia trade say space veterans often sign
hundreds of items stacked on tables in front of them, and may sometimes
pay little attention to what they are scribbling on.

Chiao said that certifying such items in space and signing them later when
back on Earth is a widespread Russian practice.

end quote

Authentic or Fake?

The denials sound authoritative, but there is still the matter of that
photograph proported to have been taken on board ISS. I looked
at it on PaintShopPro and wasn't able to discern anything obvious
that indicated it was a fake. I'm not an image analysis expert
my any means, mind you.

Authoritarian denials. Real or Fake? I imagine the Astronauts are getting
a lesson on making sure they look at whatever they sign, even if he
didn't. Maybe even being prohibited from participating in any way in the
Cosmonaut's capitalistic endeavors.

For a fake, someone went to a lot of trouble, to make trouble for both the
US and Russia.

If it's real, how embarrassing it must be to both sides. A lack of
understanding of US History, combined with a long time Russian Tradition
and a new found Capitalist one, leads to embarrassment all around.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old June 16th 06, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

So what if they had signed Confederate flags? What's the big deal?

Old June 16th 06, 02:39 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:40:19 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:

Here's Benjamin again:
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...6/02175905.jpg
Looks like the going rate is three bills.

As far as I can tell from the low resolution, this one looks more like
George than Benjamin.

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog...6/02154202.jpg

That seems to be our old boy Benjamin.

If it is really different in the two photos, the plot thickens...

(See
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/4
if you are baffled by these elliptical references or want to test
your powers of photographic interpretation).

lol, i do believe your right, the plot thickens....

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old June 16th 06, 02:47 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

Scott Hedrick wrote:
So what if they had signed Confederate flags? What's the big deal?

Unless you've been in a coma for the last 60 years, you know exactly
what the deal is.

- Ed Kyle

Old June 16th 06, 03:48 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

wrote in message
oups.com...
Scott Hedrick wrote:
So what if they had signed Confederate flags? What's the big deal?

Unless you've been in a coma for the last 60 years, you know exactly
what the deal is.

Alright, suppose I have been in a coma for the last sixty years. What's the
big deal? It's just a flag. Signing it doesn't mean an endorsement of
anything attached to the symbol.

I had William Davis aka The Cigarette Smoking Man autograph a packet of
Marlboros. He and I are both avid non-smokers. Did his autograph constitute
an endorsement of smoking?

The Confederate flag is a symbol of heritage to some people. It's a symbol
of state's rights over Federal intrusion to others. To me, anyone who waves
a Confederate flag is saying "I'm a loser" because they associate themselves
with the losing side.

To folks autographing it, it probably doesn't mean anything- certainly not
to a Russian.

So- what's the big deal?