My first digital Deepsky image.

Old May 25th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default My first digital Deepsky image.

Hi all.

I've just taken my First digital Deep sky image! I didn't bother with any of
the dark frame stuff, I just took a simple guided astrophoto of M14

http://www.astronut.pwp.blueyonder.c...messier14.html

Points to note about this... I've recently changed the firmware on my
Autostar and need to re-train the drives. I was also trying out my new DSI,
so I've still got to calibrate the Drift Explorer in K3CCDTools. Dispite all
this, I'm still happy that it's a good image. I didn't pay much attention to
the focus, but it didn't come out too badly.

Regards

Colin Dawson

www.cjdawson.com

"When you do things right, people won't be sure that you've done anything
special at all."

Old May 25th 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Congratulations! Nice image.

We are still waiting for a clear night so we can fiddle with our LPI for the
first time. The LPI says it works similar to a 6mm EP for magnification,
does the DSI have a standard setting for magnification or are you able to
set that option as well as exposure and other stuff?

Well done again!
LeAnne

Old May 25th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

In article , Colin Dawson wrote:

http://www.astronut.pwp.blueyonder.c...messier14.html

Oh, well played sir.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
JediGeeks http://www.jedigeeks.com
Old May 25th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:12:03 GMT, "Colin Dawson"
wrote:

Hi all.

I've just taken my First digital Deep sky image! I didn't bother with any of
the dark frame stuff, I just took a simple guided astrophoto of M14

http://www.astronut.pwp.blueyonder.c...messier14.html

Points to note about this... I've recently changed the firmware on my
Autostar and need to re-train the drives. I was also trying out my new DSI,
so I've still got to calibrate the Drift Explorer in K3CCDTools. Dispite all
this, I'm still happy that it's a good image. I didn't pay much attention to
the focus, but it didn't come out too badly.

Hi Colin, excellent first try. If you have the software, try dropping
back the red channel a fraction that should darken the background sky.
A gentle sharpening will also help to improve the overal definition of
this great globular.

BTW it's M13 not M14 ;-)

Can you see that "Y" shaped lane on its side on the left hand edge of
the cluster? That's the feature nicknamed "the propeller".

Well done!
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old May 25th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"LeAnne Parker" wrote in message
.. .
Congratulations! Nice image.

We are still waiting for a clear night so we can fiddle with our LPI for
the first time. The LPI says it works similar to a 6mm EP for
magnification, does the DSI have a standard setting for magnification or
are you able to set that option as well as exposure and other stuff?

Well done again!
LeAnne

Hi LeAnne.

The DSI is almost exactly the same as the LPI in the way that it works (well
the User Interface anyway). The difference is that it allows exposures up
to about a minute. I think it's also like a 6mm EP.

I did try using it to capture an image of Jupiter, the seeing was too bad.
There was no way that I could get a 1/2 decent image. From this point of
view, I'm going to stick with my TuCam for planetery imaging.

Regards

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

Old May 25th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Thank god there's an expert on hand. Thanks for the correction Pete. I
should have written down which object I was imaging.

I can't see the "Y" shaped thingy. Any chance that you can circle it for
me?

Here's the corrected link.
http://www.astronut.pwp.blueyonder.c...messier13.html

I'll try modifying the image now.

Regards

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

news

Old May 25th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:49:49 GMT, "Colin Dawson"
wrote:

Thank god there's an expert on hand. Thanks for the correction Pete. I
should have written down which object I was imaging.

I can't see the "Y" shaped thingy. Any chance that you can circle it for
me?

Here you go...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/temp/cd_M13.jpg
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old May 25th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Oh Hang on, I see the Y Shaped thingy now. It's right in the middle and
looks like a lower case y which has been rotated 90° anti-clockwise. I just
finished playing making some adjustments using Paint shop pro, and I think
that this has bought the image out alot.

Now, if I just learn how to do all those dark frame and other frame things.
I'll post the revised image up in a couple of minutes.

Regards

Colin Dawson
www.cjdawson.com

. uk...

Old May 25th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

LOL, I that really does look like a propeller. I'd never have spotted that.

I've just re-processed the image. I think that it does look a little
clearer than the first attempt.

Old May 27th 06, 02:04 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

[...]

Hi Colin,
the only problem now is that your original link to 'messier14.html' returns
a 404 (page not found) error. Suggest you create a linking page

Nice picture though - Very nice picture.