Mercury, Gemini, Apollo astros divorce rate

Old February 27th 05, 12:47 AM
Bill

Default Mercury, Gemini, Apollo astros divorce rate

I was surprised to find the high divorce rate among the first three
groups of astronauts. Billed as "all-American heroes", their marriages
sure bit the dust mighty often. Even ol Neil and Jan split in the
early nineties. Seems that the crew of Gemini 7 stayed the course for
the long haul though, through thick and thin, up there and down here.
Old February 27th 05, 01:54 AM
Alan Erskine

"Bill" wrote in message
I was surprised to find the high divorce rate among the first three
groups of astronauts. Billed as "all-American heroes", their marriages
sure bit the dust mighty often. Even ol Neil and Jan split in the
early nineties. Seems that the crew of Gemini 7 stayed the course for
the long haul though, through thick and thin, up there and down here.

Divorce rate in society as a whole is about 70% (someone quipped that "I
don't believe in divorce; it's never been found to be an effective cure for
marriage"). I think you'll find it's about that for astronauts.

There was a similar rate of divorce amongst NASA employees across the board
in the late '60's due to the work pressure - 16 hour days were common.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old February 27th 05, 01:56 PM
Bill

Yes, I also read somewhere that the divorce rate at Grumman's Bethpage
plant was sky high during the late sixties, as people were moving out
of their homes and into their offices due to the LEM development being
about 4-6 months behind schedule.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:54:52 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

.. .