Mercury MR-3 Freedom 7 Question

Old January 20th 04, 04:17 AM
Robert Conley

Default Mercury MR-3 Freedom 7 Question

I know that the windows installed on Liberty Bell 7 had a field of
view of 30 degrees by 33 degrees. Does anybody know what the Field of
View of the portholes were on Freedom 7?

I am working on a new release of my mercury model for Orbiter Sim. A
couple of people have contributed new 3D meshes and panel graphics.
Below is an example

http://www.moonport.org/newwindow.jpg

If I know the field of Freedom 7 porthole, I can have it created at a
certain pixel size and then set Orbiter Field of View correctly so you
will see what Shepherd did.

As the guy doing the artwork said it will be "Simply a craptacular
view"

Here what we have now.

http://www.moonport.org/images/craptacular.jpg

Rob Conley
Old January 21st 04, 09:54 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:17:35 -0800, Robert Conley wrote:

I know that the windows installed on Liberty Bell 7 had a field of
view of 30 degrees by 33 degrees. Does anybody know what the Field of
View of the portholes were on Freedom 7?

I don't know the angle, but it should be roughly the same as the smaller
angle for the later window, since the porthole's diameter was about the
same as the average width of the window. It might be a little smaller
due to the fact that the upper porthole was positioned at 10:30 instead of
12:00 and so would be further away from the pilot's eyes.

Note also that there were actually TWO portholes, the second one was at
4:30. This one would have a smaller angle of view since it's further from
the eyes.

If I know the field of Freedom 7 porthole, I can have it created at

certain pixel size and then set Orbiter Field of View correctly so you
will see what Shepherd did.

As the guy doing the artwork said it will be "Simply a craptacular view"

Here what we have now.

http://www.moonport.org/images/craptacular.jpg

Note that the portholes should appear elliptical rather than round since
they are on a conical surface.

Also the instrument panels were different, what you are showing in these
views doesn't seem to be correct for any of the Mercury Spacecraft, for
example the Abort light is not on the main panel but on the side panel,
and Shepard's lacked it, as just one example.
Old January 22nd 04, 04:32 PM
Robert Conley

I don't know the angle, but it should be roughly the same as the smaller
angle for the later window, since the porthole's diameter was about the
same as the average width of the window. It might be a little smaller
due to the fact that the upper porthole was positioned at 10:30 instead of
12:00 and so would be further away from the pilot's eyes.

Mmmm perhaps then it probably is a little more complicated as large
window FOV is 33 degrees up and 30 degree left to right according to
the sources I read on Liberty Bell 7 (the only place I can find this
mentioned).

Note also that there were actually TWO portholes, the second one was at
4:30. This one would have a smaller angle of view since it's further from
the eyes.

Yup, the problem being that I am using a flat bitmap panel, so in some
areas I have to an "intrepetation" rather than an exact
representation. My goal to set it all up so that the user can perform
the historical checklists with using just a 15 to 19 inch computer
screen.

I have all this noted in cause Orbiter ever supports a 3D cockpit at
which point I can make this truly accurate. Of course if I had some
bucks along with some EPIC cards and I/O cards I could build a fixed
simulator. with monitor fixtures outside of the windows. Then it would
be truly accurate.

Thanks for the clock positions that is the best description of the
porthole locations I have seen. I have to wonder why did they think
the 4:30 porthole would be useful. What you were supposed to use it
for, the earth rolling underneath you? I can understand the 2:30
porthole but not the 4:30 porthole.

Note that the portholes should appear elliptical rather than round since
they are on a conical surface.

In the latest round of panel graphics we updated the backgrounds and
along with the porthole angled as you would see it against a cockpit
wall. Again because we are dealing with 2D panel I have to make some
compromises based on usability and screen limitation.

Also the instrument panels were different, what you are showing in these
views doesn't seem to be correct for any of the Mercury Spacecraft, for
example the Abort light is not on the main panel but on the side panel,
and Shepard's lacked it, as just one example.

Thanks I understand. Right now the panel is based off the may 20th
familization manual SEDR 109. The Abort light was moved to it's
location because it would have been cut off in my original bitmap.

The plan is for the next release is to do the panels for Freedom 7,
and Faith 7. Also correct any problems with the layout of the
current panel (like the abort light) The periscope panel will need
some more work on it as well, I have the FOV adjustments working as
well as the altitude knob. Also Orbiter needs to support having the
internal camera at angles other than straight ahead.

The plan for this release is to make sure all the buttons are in and
they work as they are supposed too. Also to support the variations
from Liberty Bell 7 to Sigma 7. We trying to get the new Fuse Panel,
and Right Hand Panel right the first time out.

Thanks for your comment they really helped. I have another question if
you don't mind; what was the size of the oxygen bottles, I can
calculate it from the information the manual gives me (mass, pressure,
and tempature) but I want to be sure. Right now I have it pegged at
327.5 cubic inches which gives me a 8.5 in sphere.

Thanks
Rob Conley