Seti@Home Project

Old September 4th 03, 07:43 PM
Michael Keating

Default Seti@Home Project

You all know of the SETI program- obviously- but did you know how you can
donate your computers CPU to anazlyze radio telescope data? Its rather neat-
I have a slurpus of computers- so i run 2 or 3 systems 24/7 running the
program- you can join "teams" that compete to see who can get the most work
units done. Each chunk of data is broken into WU or work units which are
divided among people on the project. Your computer analyzes your chuck and
then sends the results back to the SETI project.

I warn you though it is very CPU intensive VERY. It takes me a good 6 hours
of CPU time with an AMD 2100+ overclocked to2500+. Basically- if you have an
older computer- i wouldnt bother. Just thought id share this info with you-
and if this has been posted before- Sorry.

Also I add- Dont try to use your computer while this is running. If you
leave your computer on 24/7 - it has options such as like wait til your
computer is idle for such and such min. before activating the program- and
close it down when the mouse moves- and such things like that. You'd need a
fleet of deticated servers to compete - but I know some people and we just
joined up and formed a Team AMDMB.COM - and even if you complete 1 WU you
have contributed to the project so dont be overwhelmed by the people
donating 200 + hours of CPU time ( multiple comps running ).
Also Id have broadband to do this. Ive never tried to with Dialup- but I
imagine the WU are rather large to send.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Anyway Enjoy

Old September 4th 03, 08:56 PM
lightshow

Michael Keating wrote:
[...]

Nice post Mike. I wonder if you are using Setidriver, or the Screensaver?

I started out with the project using a Amd 586 & am now ( for the last 2
years) running a 1.2 gig TBird oc'd to 1.33. I, using the command prompt
(Setidriver) complete a workunit in about 5 hrs. 10 min. I also am quite
able to do other work while processing the wu, but Photoshop IS slow.g
Have you checked into what else is running on your machine after it is
booted?

Good luck..
Your credit: Name (and URL) Results Received 3047 Total CPU Time
2.654 years Average CPU Time per work unit 7 hr 37 min 44.6 sec Average
results received per day 1.94 Last result returned:Thu Sep 4 16:44:10
2003 UTC Registered on:Sun May 16 16:03:13 1999 UTC View Registration
Class SETI@home user for: 4.307 years Your group info: You do not
currently belong to a group. You are not currently the founder of any
teams. Your rank: (based on current workunits received)
Your rank out of 4654513 total users is: 62626th place. The number of
users who have this rank: 27 You have completed more work units than
98.654% of our users. User Certificates Download 2,500 Workunit
Certificate Download 1,000 Workunit Certificate Download 750 Workunit
Certificate Download 500 Workunit Certificate Download 250 Workunit
Certificate Download 100 Workunit Certificate

Old September 4th 03, 11:29 PM
Michael Keating

My son plays video games So yes we set it to lower priority thread. We
have several computers though - but he usually has one running as a game
server- one hes playing on- and sometimes I join him in playing - thats why
it takes so long

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:56:50 GMT, lightshow
wrote:

Michael Keating wrote:
[...]

Well I did it on a 266 MHz machine and it took 140 hours to finish the
first and about 98 hours to get the second WU done. (Don't know why that
big difference, must be caused by the complexity of the data?)

Also I add- Dont try to use your computer while this is running.

If you set the priority of the thread to "low" you will be able to use
your PC quite "normally" even though the CPU works on 100% all the time.

If you
leave your computer on 24/7 - it has options such as like wait til your
computer is idle for such and such min. before activating the program-

and
close it down when the mouse moves- and such things like that. You'd

need a
fleet of deticated servers to compete -

"to compete"... That's one of the mysteries of the American mind, that I
probably will never be able to understand ... Why is there any need for
competition? I thought our common goal was about finding signals of
possible extra-terrestrial origin?

but I know some people and we just
joined up and formed a Team AMDMB.COM - and even if you complete 1 WU

you
have contributed to the project so dont be overwhelmed by the people
donating 200 + hours of CPU time ( multiple comps running ).
Also Id have broadband to do this. Ive never tried to with Dialup- but

imagine the WU are rather large to send.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Anyway Enjoy

I do :-))

[...]

Yes, boys are boys :-))

C.

Old September 5th 03, 01:05 AM
TomK

Run it continously and not as the screen saver. The video
update stuff robs CPU cycles. If you do that, my guess is
under 4 hrs each.

TK

Old September 5th 03, 02:06 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Michael Keating" wrote in message
.. .
My son plays video games So yes we set it to lower priority thread. We
have several computers though - but he usually has one running as a game
server- one hes playing on- and sometimes I join him in playing - thats

why
it takes so long

I just shut Seti off when I play games, if you leave it running it will not
do much except increase your per unit work time.
Everything else I pretty much leave it on all the time.

Old September 5th 03, 02:46 AM
FERRANTE

I am running Seti too, but I don't know much about it. I do have some
questions maybe you guys can answer.

1. Is it safe to leave your computer running constantly? I get
paranoid about fires.

2. In order to make Seti effective, you must allow the computer to run
with the Power Scheme always on. Is that correct? Going into sleep
mode with not allow Seti to work, right?

Lastly, what does a computer cost to run all the time? I have a
Pentium II 400mg. I can't imagine it would be that much.

Thanks in advance for your explanation(s).

Mark Ferrante