Splitting Antares with apo?

Old July 26th 04, 12:20 PM
Rank Amateur

Default Splitting Antares with apo?

What is the minimum size of apochromatic refractor needed to split the
Antares binary?

Thank you.

Old July 26th 04, 04:20 PM
Richard DeLuca

In article k.net,
"Rank Amateur" wrote:

What is the minimum size of apochromatic refractor needed to split the
Antares binary?

Thank you.

I have split this pretty double a couple of times this summer with a TV
NP101 at about 100X. It was not a difficult object, but on other nights
I couldn't split it at all, even though I thought the transparency might
be up to it. Very 'seeing' dependant, and more easily visible in deep
twilight than in darkness, at least in my experience. I've sometimes
had trouble seeing it in large scopes, too.

Starry Skies,
Rich
Old July 26th 04, 04:23 PM
Richard DeLuca

In article
,
Richard DeLuca wrote:

I have split this pretty double a couple of times this summer with a TV
NP101 at about 100X. It was not a difficult object, but on other nights
I couldn't split it at all, even though I thought the transparency might
be up to it. Very 'seeing' dependant, and more easily visible in deep
twilight than in darkness, at least in my experience. I've sometimes
had trouble seeing it in large scopes, too.

Starry Skies,
Rich

I should add that I'm at 42° north latitude, so Antares is always pretty
low, even when transiting.
Old July 26th 04, 10:20 PM
Leonard

"Rank Amateur" wrote in message thlink.net...
What is the minimum size of apochromatic refractor needed to split the
Antares binary?

Thank you.

Hello ;

Its easy in a 4 inch apochromatic refractor , as long as
the seeing is on the good side .
Leonard
Old July 27th 04, 01:12 AM
Axel

What is the minimum size of apochromatic refractor needed to split the
Antares binary?

A good test object for a 4" apo, but an excellent 3" should be able to
do it on a great night. With any scope, the seeing must be quite
decent to have a chance.

It's a nice color contrast double.

Cheers,
Ritesh
Old July 27th 04, 02:48 AM
Richard

"Rank Amateur" wrote in message thlink.net...
What is the minimum size of apochromatic refractor needed to split the
Antares binary?

Thank you.

The major issue is seeing. With good seeing, if Antares is high enough,
you should be able to do it with a good 60mm refractor. However, it
will look better in a 4."
-Rich
Old July 27th 04, 03:07 AM
Mike Fitterman

If only it would ever get high enough. I keep waiting, but it never gets
above the same point ;-)

Mike.
om...

Old July 28th 04, 01:31 AM
Axel

The major issue is seeing. With good seeing, if Antares is high enough,
you should be able to do it with a good 60mm refractor.

Hmm, I think the chances of a decent split in a 60mm are really slim
or even close to non-existent. The companion would be hopelessly
swamped in the glare from Antares' huge Airy disc.

Ritesh
Old July 28th 04, 04:35 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-07-26, Rank Amateur wrote:
What is the minimum size of apochromatic refractor needed to split the
Antares binary?

It's possible in a 4". Been there. Did that. They don't make the
T-shirt.

Old July 28th 04, 12:26 PM
clyde crewey

"Rank Amateur" wrote in message thlink.net...
What is the minimum size of apochromatic refractor needed to split the
Antares binary?

Thank you.

I've split it easily some nights in my TV85 at 120x. On other nights
it won't split at 300x. As always, seeing is the crucial ingredient.

Clyde