astrophotography

Old September 13th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Norman Silverstone

Default astrophotography

Could some kind person please direct me to where I can read up about
transferring video clips from the camcorder to computer prior to
processing with registax? I want to prepare myself before buying a
camcorder. Tips on what sort of camcorder to buy would also be very
welcome.

Thanks

Norman

Old September 13th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected][_1_]

Norman Silverstone wrote:
Could some kind person please direct me to where I can read up about
transferring video clips from the camcorder to computer prior to
processing with registax? I want to prepare myself before buying a
camcorder. Tips on what sort of camcorder to buy would also be very
welcome.

What for, if I may ask? Videorecorders and astrophotography is not a
marriage made in heaven (pun intended).

Andrea T.

Old September 14th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Norman Silverstone

Could some kind person please direct me to where I can read up about
transferring video clips from the camcorder to computer prior to
processing with registax? I want to prepare myself before buying a
camcorder. Tips on what sort of camcorder to buy would also be very
welcome.

snip

To the OP: atasselli is essentially right, video cameras are pretty
unlikely to work as they're designed for much higher light densities.

You could be correct but is this fact or just your opinion. I know very
little about digital photography and I would appreciate some references so
that I can read and understand.

Norman

Many webcams, especially the Toucam pro, will however give useful
results if what you're after is lots of stills for stacking.

This would be my intention. However, would I not have to connect a webcam
to a computer for it to work and, as I am looking to astronomy, does this
not mean a laptop computer which I do not possess.

Old September 14th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
reconair

This would be my intention. However, would I not have to connect a webcam
to a computer for it to work and, as I am looking to astronomy, does this
not mean a laptop computer which I do not possess.

For the cost of a decent video camera, you could have the laptop and webcam
easily, probably for a lot less. This set up is generally the one used by
most planetary astrophotography. You may also have difficulty finding an
appropriate adapter for a video camera. Such adapters are easily found for
webcams though. Converting video frames to something that can be stacked
and processed for astrphotography still drives the need for a computer.

Scott

Old September 14th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Norman Silverstone

This would be my intention. However, would I not have to connect a webcam
to a computer for it to work and, as I am looking to astronomy, does this
not mean a laptop computer which I do not possess.

For the cost of a decent video camera, you could have the laptop and webcam
easily, probably for a lot less. This set up is generally the one used by
most planetary astrophotography. You may also have difficulty finding an
appropriate adapter for a video camera. Such adapters are easily found for
webcams though. Converting video frames to something that can be stacked
and processed for astrphotography still drives the need for a computer.

Thanks for that and I do understand the need for a computer which I
already have but it is a desktop. Also I wonder if one would need such an
expensive camcorder. My intention, initially anyway, would be to work
afocally thereby needed only a relatively simple bracket arrangement such
as I have already used for still photography.

Norman

Old September 14th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Donal

"Norman Silverstone" wrote in message
news
Could some kind person please direct me to where I can read up about
transferring video clips from the camcorder to computer prior to
processing with registax? I want to prepare myself before buying a
camcorder. Tips on what sort of camcorder to buy would also be very
welcome.

You can buy video capture devices which allow you to convert a composite
video signal into an AVI file.

This is a link to a PCI card version:-
http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/69476/75/

Other versions are available for USB. I have a USB product which works very
well. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the manufacturer's name.

I am sure that PC World sell them. You might also find them in Curry's or
other similiar outlets.

Regards

Donal

Old September 14th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:34:20 +0100, in uk.sci.astronomy , Norman
Silverstone wrote:

Thanks for that and I do understand the need for a computer which I
already have but it is a desktop. Also I wonder if one would need such an
expensive camcorder.

I think the point people are making is that camcorders are no good.

If you want to take lots of shots for stacking, use a webcam such as
the Phillips Toucam pro which can be had, including adapter for
telescope, for around £100. You can then xfer the 'video' footage to a
PC and use Registax or similar to stack the frames.

My intention, initially anyway, would be to work
afocally thereby needed only a relatively simple bracket arrangement such
as I have already used for still photography.

It might work. My own experience with a webcam was that it was much
much easier to do it with even a simple adapter into the eyepiece
holder.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old September 14th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected][_1_]

Norman Silverstone wrote:
[...]

Even with the best camrecorders I've seen so far (semi-pro 3CCD type)
the results for planetary work do not hold a half a candle to a webcam
based system and the total expenditure is far higher. You can get a
decent used laptop and a Toucam for, probably, little over £200 if you
shop wisely.

Andrea T.

Old September 14th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Norman Silverstone

, snip

I think the point people are making is that camcorders are no good.

snip

My thanks to everyone for such useful information, it is much appreciated.
I will now sit down and try to make up my mind

Norman