Celestron X_Celn 5mm Review part 2

Old November 10th 04, 07:39 AM
starlord

Default Celestron X_Celn 5mm Review part 2

Eyepiece Review Part 2:

After waiting for some hours, Saturn came up and by 11:15pm
was above the trees. So I aimed at it, had to wipe the drew
off the telrad ( first time in 6 years I've seen that here )
and do the same for the 4.8 as it had been out there instead
of my pocket like the 5mm.

Got a clear view of Saturn by both eyepieces, the 5mm one
was slightly darker, but had a slightly bigger image than
the 4.8, but the 4.8 had a brighter image.

So, I'm no big shot reviewer, I just put it the way I see it,
From what I can see, for my Babylon 8, the 5mm one, while
maybe not the all time best, is useable. Maybe for fast scopes
it doesn't work as good. As my scope is slow, it's the best I
can review with.

Oh ya, when I opened the box, it looked like a model rocket
motor had been sent! I've got ones as big as this eyepiece! ;}

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm

SIAR
www.starlords.org

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

---

Old November 10th 04, 07:30 PM
RichA

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:39:29 -0800, "starlord"
wrote:

Eyepiece Review Part 2:

After waiting for some hours, Saturn came up and by 11:15pm
was above the trees. So I aimed at it, had to wipe the drew
off the telrad ( first time in 6 years I've seen that here )
and do the same for the 4.8 as it had been out there instead
of my pocket like the 5mm.

Got a clear view of Saturn by both eyepieces, the 5mm one
was slightly darker, but had a slightly bigger image than
the 4.8, but the 4.8 had a brighter image.

So, I'm no big shot reviewer, I just put it the way I see it,
From what I can see, for my Babylon 8, the 5mm one, while
maybe not the all time best, is useable. Maybe for fast scopes
it doesn't work as good. As my scope is slow, it's the best I
can review with.

Oh ya, when I opened the box, it looked like a model rocket
motor had been sent! I've got ones as big as this eyepiece! ;}

I'm familiar with the centering of the eye issue with
these eyepieces. It might make some observers uncomfortable.
The dim image thing sounds like the effect of looking
through the Vixen Lanthanums. But, price-wise, if longer
eye relief and decent FOV is needed, they still seem to
fit the bill.
-Rich

Old February 1st 05, 11:30 PM
RichA

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:01:25 +0000, Gareth Slee
wrote:

starlord wrote:
Eyepiece Review Part 2:

After waiting for some hours, Saturn came up and by 11:15pm
was above the trees. So I aimed at it, had to wipe the drew
off the telrad ( first time in 6 years I've seen that here )
and do the same for the 4.8 as it had been out there instead
of my pocket like the 5mm.

Got a clear view of Saturn by both eyepieces, the 5mm one
was slightly darker, but had a slightly bigger image than
the 4.8, but the 4.8 had a brighter image.

So, I'm no big shot reviewer, I just put it the way I see it,
From what I can see, for my Babylon 8, the 5mm one, while
maybe not the all time best, is useable. Maybe for fast scopes
it doesn't work as good. As my scope is slow, it's the best I
can review with.

Oh ya, when I opened the box, it looked like a model rocket
motor had been sent! I've got ones as big as this eyepiece! ;}

These are pretty decent eyepieces. The only thing is that they
need you to keep your eye steady, as the "sweet spot" for the
exit pupil is narrow. Price you pay for the long eye relief.
-Rich

Chapter 4 Part 5 nuke Astronomy Misc 0 March 3rd 04 07:30 AM
Has anyone done a comparison of the Photon Instruments 127mm refractor with the Celestron and Meade 6" refractors? Clayton E. Cramer Amateur Astronomy 12 December 20th 03 07:02 AM
meade or celestron? gluon Amateur Astronomy 7 December 1st 03 02:52 PM
The Best Part #4 of CAIB Report ElleninLosAngeles Space Shuttle 0 August 28th 03 12:35 AM
TV REVIEW: 'COLUMBIA: FINAL MISSION'- Unheeded Concerns and the Columbia Disaster Lynndel Humphreys Space Shuttle 0 July 7th 03 01:50 PM