Laser image of US Flag on the moon?

Old September 16th 03, 08:18 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , kapella
writes
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:52:33 GMT, "Painius"
wrote:

"G.P" wrote in message...
.cable.rogers.com...

"Darrell" wrote in message

Here's an idea! Could NASA or some other org paint a laser image of the
US flag on the moon ever 9/11?

If they could,they could sell advertising to ease their money woes...
wink, wink.
Anyone has read Heinlein's The Man who Sold the Moon?

Fortunately it wouldn't work. The Moon is _already_ almost as dark as
carbon black. You could use something reflective such as titanium
dioxide, but fortunately the mass required is appropriately
astronomical, because the particles have to be larger than a certain
size.
Last time this came up (which it does quite often) I suggested using
Arthur Clarke's idea of a cloud of sodium vapour, which has the
advantage of being non-permanent, but I'm not sure this works either.
But the scary thing for the majority of us who don't live in the USA is
that NASA _is_ planning just this sort of demonstration.
The Deep Impact probe is scheduled to hit a comet on July 4 2005.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 16th 03, 10:33 PM
OG

"Darrell" wrote in message
Here's an idea! Could NASA or some other org paint a laser image of the
US flag on the moon ever 9/11?

As sign of US arrogance, even this pales into insignificance compared to
recent events. Even so I would love to be able to say that no-one in US
political power would seriously consider it; but sadly I have to say IMHO
that the US people do not have the leadership they deserve*

However, in terms of practicality, it would be very disappointing.

The moon is illuminated by the sun, so for the shape to be visible on the
'lit' face, the intensity of the incident beam would have to be orders of
magnitude brighter than sunlight for us to be able to make it out.

It may be possible to project the image onto the unlit 'dark' surface as the
moon waxes and wanes. Once again, the brightness would need to be comparable
to sunlight at the moons surface for it to be clearly visible. However, the
angular size of the moon is rather small, so the overall impact would be
comparable to drawing a flag on half of your little finger nail and viewing
it at arms' length.

Less impressive than planned.

* Others would say that the US people do not have the leadership they voted
for either, but that's for another newsgroup.

Old September 18th 03, 09:13 AM
W K

"OG" wrote in message

"Darrell" wrote in message
Here's an idea! Could NASA or some other org paint a laser image of

the
US flag on the moon ever 9/11?

As sign of US arrogance, even this pales into insignificance compared to
recent events.

Perhaps the OP should have a look at the significance of the Moon to Islam.
Its extremely deep seated, and the above suggestion would be so intensely
insulting, you'd have lots more dates to commemorate.

Even so I would love to be able to say that no-one in US
political power would seriously consider it; but sadly I have to say IMHO
that the US people do not have the leadership they deserve*

yes they do.

It may be possible to project the image onto the unlit 'dark' surface as

the
moon waxes and wanes.

Like when its a fine crescent? How about doing it on the first moon after
the end of ramadam?