comparisons

Old August 29th 03, 08:01 PM
John Carruthers

Default comparisons

solar system stands to universe like a grain of sand stands to 1 km2
of beach, while man
stands to the latter like a quark to the solar system. Is the
proportion
realistic?

I'd have said : solar system is to galaxy as galaxy is to universe
(infinity? not easy)
What was it Sagan said about the grains of sand on all the beaches of
the world ?
It was some time ago.
jc

---

Old August 31st 03, 04:18 AM
Grae

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
I'd have said : solar system is to galaxy as galaxy is to universe
(infinity? not easy)

but it is difficult for a 10 y/o children to get the idea of proportions
without any reference to daily-life objects, if they've got no idea of what
proportion Milky Way is! Better to start from objects which evidence they
can handle.

Old September 8th 03, 02:05 AM
Benoit Morrissette

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:35:34 GMT, "Grae" wrote:

hello, I should give an example to my students, but I suspect there's
something wrong in it (sorry, I'm not a mathematician). I said, solar system
stands to universe like a grain of sand stands to 1 km2 of beach, while man
stands to the latter like a quark to the solar system. Is the proportion
realistic?

Not far away... The Solar system is to the Galaxy like a flour particle is to
a dinner plate full of flour. Now the Galaxy is to the Universe like a grain of
sand is to a square km of beach. ( about 300 000 times bigger ).
Benoît Morrissette