Venus artwork

Old September 8th 03, 02:08 AM
Ron Miller

Default Venus artwork

I've posted four of the illustrations from my Venus book here, for whatever
interest they may have:

http://www.bonestell.org/venus/index.html

RM

Old September 8th 03, 02:34 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Ron Miller" wrote in message
I've posted four of the illustrations from my Venus book here, for

whatever
interest they may have:

http://www.bonestell.org/venus/index.html

RM

Very beautiful artwork Ron. God I wish I could see the other planets in
person, your work will no doubt be as close as I ever get,

Old September 8th 03, 03:57 AM
Flying _Naked_People

Ahhh... Food for the imagination.

Question: You say these are based on research? Are they mathematically based?
I'm thinking maybe you used the photos of venus and did some strange 3-D
calculated rotation thing (based on the actual locations of craters, volcanos,
etc.) to come up with the landscapes?

If so, then this is the real thing... and... that's...

Well, I mean you could be creating maps. A... map... of... Hell.

:-o

You know, Gustave Dore illustrated Hell for Dante's "Divine Comedy". Some of
the scenes he illustrated for that book look like they came right out of
IMAG000.JPG.

Here is one... http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/bw9b.jpg

Look at the background - not the water... And there are maybe about 12 other
scenes in hell that are all rocky like that. And Dore (the artist) made sure
that these scenes had the impression of heat. I don't have a pic of that
dammit. But in one "hot" scene I remember, people's legs are sticking out of
the ground (that's right, OUT) while steam rises all around them.

Holy Schet.

(I mean - Thanks for posting these :-)

Ron Miller wrote in article

Old September 8th 03, 11:47 AM
Ron Miller

"Douglas A. Shrader" wrote in message

"Ron Miller" wrote in message
I've posted four of the illustrations from my Venus book here, for

whatever
interest they may have:

http://www.bonestell.org/venus/index.html

RM

Very beautiful artwork Ron. God I wish I could see the other planets in
person, your work will no doubt be as close as I ever get,

Thanks! That's a great compliment! I have to admit that one of the reasons I
do these things is because I figure it's as close as I'll ever get, too...

Old September 8th 03, 11:55 AM
Ron Miller

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...
Ahhh... Food for the imagination.

Question: You say these are based on research? Are they mathematically

based?
I'm thinking maybe you used the photos of venus and did some strange 3-D
calculated rotation thing (based on the actual locations of craters,

volcanos,
etc.) to come up with the landscapes?

No. Since these scenes are very close up, they show details that would be
too small to be resolved by Magellan's radar. What I do is study the NASA
images to what general type of landscape and features there are in whatever
area I want to illustrate, look into the best guesses as to what the terrain
and geology would be like (for instance, the radar can give scientists a
good idea what a particular terrain is made of by its texture), find
terrestrial analogs (that is, places on earth that have similar landscapes),
etc. Putting all of this together, I try to create a scene that is as close
as possible to what it would actually look like. It's a lot like what one of
the forensic scuptors do when they recreate a body from a skull and bones,
or paleontological artists do when they recreate a dinosaur. You have to
take the base information and build upon that with a great deal of
information from many other sources: geology, meteorology, chemistry, etc.
etc.

RM