New Scientist SPACE Cassini spots huge "spear" on Saturn moon

Old October 5th 05, 10:54 AM
Nick

Default New Scientist SPACE Cassini spots huge "spear" on Saturn moon

The first close-up images of Saturn's moon Tethys have been sent to Earth
from the Cassini spacecraft, which flew past the moon on Saturday. As well as
the expected craters and chasms, one image reveals a peculiar, spear-shaped
feature.

Tethys is one of Saturn's inner moons, orbiting about 300,000 kilometres from
the planet - closer than our Moon is to Earth. Scientists already knew that
the 1000-kilometre moon bears one huge crater, Odysseus, and a unique giant
canyon system called Ithaca Chasma.

More from http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn8057
--
Nick in Northallerton
Also @ www.whelan.me.uk
Old October 5th 05, 11:10 AM
Charles Gilman

It does look like a spear lying there, but on the other hand it is
surrounded by things that look like bumps on the surface. Presumably they
are really craters, but however I try I haven't managed to see them as that.
If I am right, the "spear" feature would presumably bear more resemblance to
an impression of a spear - that is, as if a spear had been implanted in
relatively soft ground and removed again. I am not suggesting that it was
actually produced that way, of course!