An old friend

Old November 13th 04, 10:20 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default An old friend

Got my first DSLR in time to see Orion disappear into the evening
twilight at the beginning of this year. Did have a quick go at M42
back then but nothing serious.

Last night was beautiful, clear and cold so I decided to give it
another go. A load of M42 shots to assemble. Here's a quick result
put together just after the session finished (~4am). To be honest, I
was so tired I can't remember how many frames I used in the stack (I
think it was 4 - max ISO 800). I'll have another go when I feel less
tired. It's clear again tonight but I think my energy is finally
beginning to run out

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/DSO/M42-Nov04.html

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Old November 14th 04, 02:27 AM
Tim Auton

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Got my first DSLR in time to see Orion disappear into the evening
twilight at the beginning of this year. Did have a quick go at M42
back then but nothing serious.

Last night was beautiful, clear and cold so I decided to give it
another go.

Fantastic, even by your high standards Pete.

Tim
--
Anyone who qualifies their comments with "just my
two cents" is usually over-valuing their contribution.
Old November 14th 04, 03:58 AM
CLT

Do you ever take any bad photos?

Nice job again!

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
And the Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

Old November 14th 04, 10:10 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:58:50 -0800, "CLT" not@thisaddress wrote:

Do you ever take any bad photos?

Nice job again!

I've got about 30 of them from last night. I went to bed early
against clear skies, felt guilty in the middle of the night and
wandered out about 3am. Took a complete bracketted sequence of images
only to find that my state of tiredness had made me sloppy on the
focus. I needn't have bothered

Still, you never get to see these do you ;-)

Old November 14th 04, 03:24 PM
Tim Auton

Pete Lawrence wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:58:50 -0800, "CLT" not@thisaddress wrote:

Do you ever take any bad photos?

I've got about 30 of them from last night.

Ha! I beat you! I got about 200 bad photos last night Admittedly
they were all attempts at drift alignment before I worked out that the
f*ing clock drive is off. I McGuyvered a variable power supply to
correct it, but the PC PSU I used had a dodgy connector which made it
all a bit tricky. I gave up when the camera battery died, with a grand
total of 0 untrailed shots 30s. I might just take a bunch of
untracked short exposures and stack 'em tonight, SNR be damned!

Tim
Old November 15th 04, 11:18 PM
Rank Amateur

Pete,