Why Colonize Space?

Old August 6th 09, 12:45 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
William December Starr

Default Why Colonize Space?

In article ,
jmfbahciv jmfbahciv@aol said:

Rod Speed wrote:
Scott Lurndal wrote

You're just a troll that can't spell.

Everyone can see that you are a silly little ****wit child
that cant do anything better than spelling flames.

Only you can see that. Scott is none of the above.

I strongly suspect that in his worldview, Rod _is_ everyone.

-- wds

Old August 6th 09, 12:52 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Rod Speed

Wota packa terminal ****wits.

Old August 6th 09, 03:49 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Yap

On Aug 4, 11:43*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Scott Lurndal wrote:

I'd also take your claim of 30-year-old automobile tires combined with
the word "fine" with a grain of salt.

You know, road salt could have an effect here too...
Somewhere, I read that the short average life of women's pantyhose is
due to degradation of the nylon via pollution, rather than their
boyfriend's tearing them open in a fit of lust, although I'm pretty sure
that the majority of women would prefer the latter, particularly
considering that they are going to have to buy a new pair either way... ;-)

Why would you fault man when it could be the woman that couldn't wait
to tear herself?
The fit of lust is mutual to man and woman.

Pat

Old August 6th 09, 07:23 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Pat Flannery

Yap wrote:
Why would you fault man when it could be the woman that couldn't wait
to tear herself?
The fit of lust is mutual to man and woman.

Because she will need to buy a new pair, but he can say she was just so
hot that he couldn't resist it.
She _literally_ starts ripping _her_ clothes off, and you've got a wild
woman on your hands who's going to cost you a fortune in the clothes
department.
Don't let her near your dick, she may rip that off also.

Pat
Old August 6th 09, 01:31 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
jmfbahciv

trag wrote:
On Aug 5, 6:54 am, jmfbahciv jmfbahciv@aol wrote:
trag wrote:
On Aug 4, 7:57 am, jmfbahciv jmfbahciv@aol wrote:
ummm...computers will be the first to disappear. You can't fix
them.
Of course you can. You can't fix the individual chips, but a well
equipped kitchen and paint shop (plus a soldering pencil) has all the
tools you need to replace the components on the circuit boards.

And where are you going to get those components? And where are
you going to get the power to run the system?

Well, since we were talking about an ark situation, presumably there
would be a carefully selected stock. But failing that, the most
efficient storage method is probably to have some number of working
computers. As they fail, you cannibalize to keep as many working as
you can.

If you are trying to run computers, then you still have a source of
power. If you don't have power, there's no point in fixing the
computers any way. But in that case, computers weren't the first to
go. They went along with everything else that required power.

How do the power generators and distributors work? don't they use
computers?

make things easier, you could stock older tech computers whose
components are easier to solder/desolder, i.e., QFPs instead of BGAs.

Most of those doughnuts are in the dump.

Most, but most is a majority of millions. There are still thousands
kicking around which could be stocked in a survival shelter. And
enough non-BGA components around, that if one were really planning,
custom systems could be built. The FPGAs are still sold in QFP
packages as well as BGA.

Given the scenario, anybody who spends their time fixing computers
will get no supper because s/he hasn't gathered it.

/BAH
Old August 6th 09, 01:32 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
jmfbahciv

Scott Lurndal wrote:
jmfbahciv jmfbahciv@aol writes:
Greg Goss wrote:
jmfbahciv jmfbahciv@aol wrote:

Bearings may also be made from oily woods, and often work for ships propeller
shafts, even today.
I don't think I've ever seen any wood bearings. Were any bearings used
in sailing ships (now that I'm thinking about this)?
Conestoga wagons and their relatives. Not mobile bearings like ball
or roller, but careful selection of oily woods for the contact surface
and some techniques of shaping the contact that I read about once
thirty years ago.

Those are wagons. I was curious about sailing ships of yore. What
would require ball bearings? I can see using pulleys but those
don't use ball bearings.

Capstan.

ah, another word. Thanks.

/BAH
Old August 6th 09, 01:35 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
jmfbahciv

Greg Goss wrote:
jmfbahciv jmfbahciv@aol wrote:

Greg Goss wrote:
"John F. Eldredge" wrote:

And, since smallpox virus still exists in storage in various
laboratories, it is possible that it may someday make a comeback, either
intentionally or by accident. It is only extinct in the wild.
In a world with 5000 humans and a virus that can only live in humans
in a destroyed lab -- the refrigeration would fail long before the
"ark" humans would leave their mineshaft. A world with "no" humans to
infect and an essentially destroyed infrastructure would no longer
have smallpox, either in storage or in the wild.

If there were subsistence humans near the ruined lab, then we're into
a completely different story than an ark situation

You are forgetting the swine flu.

I was talking about smallpox. Flu gets along fine in birds and pigs
at least, and probably in other animals. It's not human-only like
smallpox and polio.

Why do you think cowpox can't evolve into something deadly? Or any
other virus.

/BAH