Modeling the Big Dipper, Griffith Obs, and Mt. Wilson

Old October 6th 08, 09:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Watty

Default Modeling the Big Dipper, Griffith Obs, and Mt. Wilson

I went to a conference in Pasadena this weekend, which finished late
Saturday night, and thought I'd spend time Sunday looking around the
area. I realized I hadn't gone to Griffith obs. for almost 30 year, so
managed to get there with not a lot of time in the day. I knew it had
been modernized, and so it was. They had a clever display of the Big
Dipper in a plastic transparent ball about 8-10' in diameter. Inside
they had about 15 glowing balls of of varying brightness. The idea was
to walk around the ball and find where the perspective was the BD. Quite
good. I wouldn't mind building something on a smaller scale for our
little museum, without the globe. I think I saw something along these
lines on the web some years ago. Comments?

I'll have to go back there some day, and get a better look at
everything. It was quite an improvement. Perhaps I'll go to Mt. Wilson
too. I know it's become a big interferometer, but don't know anything
about the public buildings there.
Old October 7th 08, 12:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Golden California Girls

Watty wrote:
[...]

Mt. Wilson is mostly closed most of the time. However you can rent time on the
60" scope.

Old October 7th 08, 12:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Watty

Golden California Girls wrote:
Watty wrote:
[...]

I think they do give public tours in the afternoon.
Old October 7th 08, 12:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Craig

You can get a Docent led tour of Mt. Wilson on the weekends, or walk around
the grounds yourself. If you have a spare $1500 or so you can rent the 60"
for a night of visual or photographic use.

Having rented time with a group of friends a couple of times I can say it
is worth the money. Seeing 24-28 stars in the Trapezium of M42 or looking
at Globular clusters around M31 really is mind blowing.

Old October 7th 08, 07:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Golden California Girls

Watty wrote:
[...]

Not year round and it looks like the USFS has it more open now than the last
time I checked.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/cond...ons-road.shtml
"The gate to Skyline Park Picnic Area and the observatories is open from April 1
through November 30, 10:00am to 4:00 pm"
An adventure pass is required.