Titan Question Via the Moon

Old January 22nd 05, 04:50 PM
MIKE

Default Titan Question Via the Moon

Isn't Titan answered the question that it is possible to make a moon have an
atmosphere.
Do you think we could ever make the moon have an atmosphere once colonised
there.??
Could it be done without blowing it up?
Mick

Old January 22nd 05, 06:00 PM
Jorge R. Frank

"MIKE" wrote in
:

Isn't Titan answered the question that it is possible to make a moon
have an atmosphere.

Possible out at Saturn, where sunlight is 1/100th as strong and the
atmosphere is much colder and not energetic enough to escape Titan's
gravity.

Do you think we could ever make the moon have an atmosphere once
colonised there.??

Sure. The atmosphere would gradually escape to space, so you'd have to
replenish it slowly to keep the same surface pressure. But any civilization
advanced enough to put an atmosphere on the moon in the first place should
have no trouble replenishing it.

Could it be done without blowing it up?

What, pray tell, would cause the moon to "blow up?"

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old January 22nd 05, 10:21 PM
bob haller

Isn't Titan answered the question that it is possible to make a moon
have an atmosphere.

moons gravity is too low, anything added would bleed off constantly....

why terraform the moon? you want to turn it green and make it a resort?

I see it now. Disney Moon the most out of the world vacation destination...
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old January 23rd 05, 04:22 AM
Jim Oberg

"bob haller" wrote
moons gravity is too low, anything added would bleed off constantly....

The 'half life' of a lunar atmosphere
would be about 4000 years, vondrak has calculated.

Plenty of time to slowly replenish it, as jorge already suggested.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:54 AM
Keith Henderson

Where is one going to get this atmosphere? I do not want someone bleeding
off the oxygen and nitrogen from the earth to replinish the moon. It must
come from some other planetary body who has an atmosphere or at least the
components of an atmosphere. Why no just go there.
Keith

"bob haller" wrote

Old January 23rd 05, 05:29 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Keith Henderson" wrote in
. com:

Where is one going to get this atmosphere? I do not want someone
bleeding off the oxygen and nitrogen from the earth to replinish the
moon. It must come from some other planetary body who has an
atmosphere or at least the components of an atmosphere.

Don't be silly. Oxygen is one of the most abundant elements in the lunar
crust, about 40% by weight. It's bound up in metal oxides but can be
extracted by chemical processes.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old January 23rd 05, 06:09 AM
Brad Guth

Mike,
If there were a suitable platform as station keeping at roughly 64,000
km away from the moon, and if there were a basalt/silica composite
tether available, chances are that robotic tether crawlers could manage
to haul lunar basalt up to a point of discharging such that would enable
roughly a 1000 second free-fall drop to the lunar surface, arriving at
roughly 16+km/s which should pretty much vaporise everything in sight,
possibly as great a vaporising 1e6 kg per 1 kg worth of whatever's
impacting the moon at 16+km/s.

This process could be conducted 24/7, reaching the capacity of perhaps
deploying a tonne each and every hour. And, unlike the all-knowing
wizards of this forum that'll tell you it just can't be done, that's
simple, they is feeding you disinformation so as to continue snookering
and keeping you and your soul as dumfounded as possible. Are you
actually that dumb and dumber, or just naturally dumbfounded?

Fortunately, there are a few remaining individuals that'll respond by
sharing in the honest physics of establishing a lunar atmosphere, which
may never become entirely sufficient for naked humans but, certainly for
surface robotics and quite an improvement for humans in habitats perhaps
100+ meters underground, safely accommodated in hollow rilles or perhaps
large geode pockets.

Subject: Relocate ISS to ME-L1

Here's what I've got to offer on the notion of using ISS as to
essentially pulverise the moon. That is if ISS or whatever other
platform were being tethered to the moon while keeping an outward
gravity and partial centrifugal pull against the moon, thus the
basalt/silica composite tether being sufficiently taut and usable for
crawlers or whatever robotics may utilize this tether as their guide
and/or source of energy transfer.

From the vantage point of roughly 64,000 km, I believe those deployed
chunks of basalt that were originally robotically retrieved from moon,
these items given a directive thrust towards the moon will have a good
1000 second drop, arriving at 16+km/s. I believe 16+km/s is sufficient
to vaporise almost anything.

If limited to the elements of basalt, a good number of O2 atoms would be
created. Fortunately this process could continue 24/7 at delivering
perhaps a tonne worth of impacts per hour, being most effective in lunar
nighttime or via brightly illuminated earthshine since this much cooler
lunar environment is going to help retain those recently created atoms
of various gas vapors. Some of what raw basalt contains is heavier than
O2, while the portion of sodium is roughly less than 3.5% that'll most
likely be extracted by the process of the horrific daytime heat and by
those nasty 600 km/s solar winds, which shouldn't hardly represent any
significant punch at the distance of Titan.

Raw basalt of 3 g/cm3, as processed into a basalt fiber: density = 2.7
g/cm3, contains little if any carbon, but offers these elements:
SiO2 58.7
Al2O3 17.2
Fe2O3 10.3
MgO 3.82
CaO 8.04
Na2O 3.34
K2O 0.82
TiO2 1.16
P2O5 0.28
MnO 0.16
Cr2O3 0.06

Of course, the porosity of certain basalt deposits may well contain the
likes of other nifty elements, such as trapped carbons, sulphurs,
krypton, xenon, even the likes of H2O and CO2 should not be excluded
from the opportunity of being released upon vaporising basalt.

Too bad our moon is so basalt/coal like dark, reflecting 11~12% is
clearly making the average landscape extra solar energy absorbing and
thereby hot and nasty, as well as being reactive and thus TBI nasty
since the thin atmosphere isn't buffering and/or deflecting squat, nor
capable of transferring all that much of whatever warmth around the
globe. However, if each tonne worth of impact(s) creates a sufficient
number of atoms that are free to move about the environment, as perhaps
affording a 0.1% thermal shift per 1000 tonnes vaporised, chances are
that keeping this process up and running might eventually improve the
situation, as it certainly can't otherwise hurt a darn thing.

My other related topic:
"The Moon, LSE-CM/ISS, Venus and beyond, with He3 to burn"

This topic is related to the basic reasoning that our moon is simply
chuck full of interesting geology, representing an absolute ideal morgue
of just about all that our galaxy is comprised of, and of apparently
extremely valuable substances for the good of humanity.

Unlike Mars, Titan and so forth spendy and extremely time consuming
robotic expeditions, supposedly we can actually get ourselves to/from
our moon. At least until there's an actual fly-by-rocket lander you'd
trust, we should be capable of getting ourselves safely to/from the
likes of ISS or the LSE-CM/ISS situated roughly 64,000 km away from the
moon. From that vantage point all sorts of nifty lunar terraforming,
countless science, astronomy and interplanetary considerations can be
most easily mastered. Outside of most science and physics forums that
suck, there's hardly anything negative to honestly say about our moon.

Perhaps you can help, as so far I haven't discovered why the mutual
ME-L1 gravity-well (nullification zone) is so insurmountable or
forbidding. Placing a mostly robotic platform such as ISS within this
zone shouldn't be nearly as complicated as going for Mars, or even as
complex and spendy as the Saturn/Titan missions that are ongoing and
summarily dog-wagging us to death, as delivering more of the same class
of spin and hype as infomercials that's keeping the mainstream media
hooked, as well as the public entirely snookered and thereby so easily
dumbfounded, not to mention extra polluted and nearly bankrupt. What's
next; a trillion dollar/euro mission to land something on Uranus or
perhaps Neptune?

Lunar Space Elevator (LSE-CM/ISS)
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Regards, Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Old January 23rd 05, 06:25 AM
Brad Guth

"Keith Henderson" wrote in message
. com

Where is one going to get this atmosphere? I do not want someone bleeding
off the oxygen and nitrogen from the earth to replinish the moon. It must
come from some other planetary body who has an atmosphere or at least the
components of an atmosphere. Why no just go there.
Keith
"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

"bob haller" wrote
moons gravity is too low, anything added would bleed off constantly....

The 'half life' of a lunar atmosphere
would be about 4000 years, vondrak has calculated.

Plenty of time to slowly replenish it, as jorge already suggested.

Most of the lunar atmosphere is actually already there. It's rather
nicely trapped within the basalt and other substances that'll need to be
vaporised, and perhaps assisted along with a few tonnes of Radon(Rn) and
a thousand tonnes of dry-ice(CO2), of which some folks on Earth will be
willing to pay serious big bucks just to get rid of that sort of nasty
stuff.

Of course, getting that accomplishment deployed into the moon is going
to summarily pollute mother Earth to an even greater level of artificial
CO2 pollution, thus catch 22 for mother Earth but, an absolute win-win
for the moon.

Raw basalt of typically 3+g/cm3 as processed into a basalt fiber:
density = 2.7 g/cm3, contains little if any carbon, but offers these
elements:
SiO2 58.7
Al2O3 17.2
Fe2O3 10.3
MgO 3.82
CaO 8.04
Na2O 3.34
K2O 0.82
TiO2 1.16
P2O5 0.28
MnO 0.16
Cr2O3 0.06

The porosity of certain basalt deposits may well contain the likes of
other nifty elements, such as trapped carbons, sulphurs, krypton, xenon,
argon even the likes of H2O and CO2 should not be excluded from the
opportunity of being released upon vaporising a megatonne worth basalt.

Old January 23rd 05, 08:14 PM
Mighty Krell

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"Keith Henderson" wrote in
. com:

Where is one going to get this atmosphere? I do not want someone
bleeding off the oxygen and nitrogen from the earth to replinish the
moon. It must come from some other planetary body who has an
atmosphere or at least the components of an atmosphere.

Don't be silly. Oxygen is one of the most abundant elements in the lunar
crust, about 40% by weight. It's bound up in metal oxides but can be
extracted by chemical processes.

--
JRF

There's also a vast number of comets out there.

Old January 24th 05, 01:44 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"MIKE" wrote in message
Isn't Titan answered the question that it is possible to make a moon have

an
atmosphere.

There wasn't much question before this.

Do you think we could ever make the moon have an atmosphere once colonised
there.??
Could it be done without blowing it up?

Sure. Why would you want to blow it up?

Mick

Space Calendar - April 30, 2004 Ron Astronomy Misc 0 April 30th 04 03:55 PM
Space Calendar - April 30, 2004 Ron Misc 0 April 30th 04 03:55 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
The apollo faq the inquirer Misc 4 April 15th 04 04:45 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM