Water crisis at ISS, a stupid suggestion

Old October 7th 04, 02:01 AM
K. Collier

Couple that with the centrifuge idea someone else had.

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
. ..

"K. Collier" wrote in message
ink.net...
It wouldn't be an open container. Those aren't allowed in Space :-).

Now a vessel under pressure...

And you separate the gasses how?

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in

message

"Explorer8939" wrote in message
om...
There is a lack of water at ISS, mostly because there's no urine
processor on board. There is a water condensate collector, which is
helping to reclaim some water and stretch the limited supply.
Inquiring minds want to know: couldn't the crew just somehow boil

some
urine, and let the condensate collector capture the resulting water
vapor? This water could be used to supply the Elektron and other
systems that can use technical water.

Just a quick question. How would you go about boiling an open

container
of
water in zero-g?

Old October 7th 04, 02:12 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"K. Collier" wrote in message
ink.net...
Couple that with the centrifuge idea someone else had.

We are now entering the realm of "things astronauts can't easily cobble
together from existing items on ISS." :-)

Old October 7th 04, 05:04 AM
bob haller

We are now entering the realm of "things astronauts can't easily cobble
together from existing items on ISS." :-)

besides with time so short what other essentiakl item do you cut to build this?
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old October 7th 04, 05:55 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-10-07, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

"K. Collier" wrote in message
ink.net...
Couple that with the centrifuge idea someone else had.

We are now entering the realm of "things astronauts can't easily cobble
together from existing items on ISS." :-)

Sock, duct tape...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 8th 04, 02:39 AM
K. Collier

I know I know. Nothing is easy in space except floating! :-)

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
.. .

ink.net...

Old October 8th 04, 09:29 PM
Ian Stirling

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"K. Collier" wrote in message
ink.net...
Couple that with the centrifuge idea someone else had.

We are now entering the realm of "things astronauts can't easily cobble
together from existing items on ISS." :-)

Obtain some PTFE or similar tubing. (alternatively, are there general
purpose tools, such as drills/bits/screwdrivers on the shuttle?
If so, you could use an aluminium block heated.)

Now, wrap this round a heater heated to 130C (?).
Connect one end to a bag of urine, with weight on top (or elastic band).

On other end, put nozzle.
Now, this produces a fine spray of boiling urine (at 100C (or a bit lower,
is ISS at sea level?)) from which a fraction of the water immediately
boils due to the superheat.

Around the spray goes a can with air blowing over the outside, and a
towel is placed so that it can draw off the water condensing on the can
from the rim of the can.
It will need squeezed out quite often.

Could you assemble this over the toilet, which might deal OK with the
result.