Moon was produced by head-on collision?

Old February 8th 16, 12:11 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
The Starmaker

Default Moon was produced by head-on collision?

The Starmaker wrote:

Michael Moroney wrote:

The Starmaker writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:

Babbling nonsense. Read up on the water cycle. Water drawn up in plants
(by the sun as part of photosynthesis, not the moon) is a minor component
of the water cycle.

What is "a minor component of the water cycle."? Are you talking about
the moon as being "a minor component of the water cycle."?

Can't you read? I said that plant transpiration of water (caused by the
sun) is a minor component. The moon is irrelevant, the words "moon" and
"tide" aren't even used in the Wikipedia article on the water cycle.
The moon isn't mentioned in a long USGS web page explaining the water
cycle, "tide" is only because they explain the water table and wells by
using the example of digging a hole at the beach which fills with water
from the ocean (and is affected by tides).

I see, you getting your information from a 'anonymous user-edited website'.

That means you don't know much...
https://www.google.com/#q=moon+tides&tbm=nws

Here’s how it works: The moon’s gravitational pull causes Earth’s atmosphere to bulge toward it, (on both sides of the earth) ..

this 'gravitational pull' by the moon pulls a drop of water from the leaf unto the ground. From the
ground the drops of water 'pulled by the moon’s gravitational pull' from the leaves, the billions
of leaves...form ruiing water on the ground that turns to rivers...that eventually form and...ocean.

In other words...

the earth's moon makes the ocean.

All from a single drop of water on a leaf.

http://revelwallpapers.net/d/7532364...ps-on-leaf.jpg

Where do you think fishes come from? From leaves that fall from trees.

Do you want me to explain How that works?

Don't expect to find this information on a 'anonymous user-edited website' like Wikipedia.

Why waste your time...read about it here from this first cover issue of Science magazine:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/The...nal-2-abcd.jpg

https://news.google.com/news/story?n...3ABI8QqgIIJDAB

of course Science is a few thousand years behind...
they still tryin to figure out how the Moon works.

https://news.google.com/news/story?n...3ABI8QqgIIJDAB

wait till they find out the moon makes fishes and people fall from trees:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/The...nal-2-abcd.jpg

man! yous guys are soooo behind the times.

yous just don't get it.

I think i was born tooo early.....let me come back a thousand years.
Old February 8th 16, 01:16 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro
The Starmaker

The Starmaker wrote:

The Starmaker wrote:

Michael Moroney wrote:

The Starmaker writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:

[...]

what you people
don't understand...
is that the earth's moon
is instrumental in the
origin of the ocean
the origin of fishes
the origin of people
the origin of Life on Earth.

Simply by it's gravitational pull on the earth and it's atmosphere.

What came first, the rain or the clouds?
Old February 8th 16, 03:58 AM posted to sci.astro
Michael Moroney

dlzc writes:

Dear Michael Moroney:

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 6:28:38 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
Babbling nonsense.

The "jack in the box" keeps popping out, if you keep responding to it in
the usual way.

I am sure you know this, but he is artificially ignorant by choice. You
may have boundless optimism that you can fix this condition, but he is
consciously referencing biblical text, and picking and choosing which
facts and observations support his position.

If you manage to pull the rug entirely out from under him, he will be
forced to fall back on literal interpretation of biblical works, since
Science cannot save his soul.

Your breath is wasted on his corpus. So if you enjoy watching the "jack
in the box", keep on cranking...

As I recently wrote in another thread, I like to argue with kooks. I find
it entertaining. I know kooks like this one are incurable. In this case,
I was also curious what kind of twisted "logic" it had to show how the
moon caused rain. However, this particular kook isn't particularly
entertaining, so I won't be turning this particular kook-in-the-box's
crank for too much longer.
Old February 8th 16, 03:35 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Michael Moroney:

On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 7:58:45 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
dlzc writes:
As I recently wrote in another thread, I like to
argue with kooks. I find it entertaining. I know
kooks like this one are incurable. In this case,
I was also curious what kind of twisted "logic" it
had to show how the moon caused rain. However,
this particular kook isn't particularly
entertaining, so I won't be turning this particular
kook-in-the-box's crank for too much longer.

As long as you are aware, the furrow closes right behind your plow... and the weeds spring up anew.

David A. Smith
Old February 9th 16, 06:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro
The Starmaker

The Starmaker wrote:

The Starmaker wrote:

The Starmaker wrote:

Michael Moroney wrote:

The Starmaker writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:

[...]

Of course the answer is simple...the moon made the clouds and then it made it rain.

How did the moon make clouds? Instead of rainfall, it rainup.

Sorry, I cannot wait for yous people to invent the word "rainup".

Maybe a thousand years from now you'll figure it out....especially yous Wikipedia university students.
Old February 9th 16, 08:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.astro
The Starmaker

The Starmaker wrote:

The Starmaker wrote:

The Starmaker wrote:

The Starmaker wrote:

Michael Moroney wrote:

The Starmaker writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:

[...]

Now, as you see on the cover of the first issue of the Science Journal is shows a photograph of a leafinsect.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/The...nal-2-abcd.jpg

You're problably wondering, how did the leaf that fell from a tree turn into an insect????
Old February 11th 16, 08:44 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Steve Willner

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:
I am sceptical too but here is one source with references:
http://www-das.uwyo.edu/~geerts/cwx/...ap10/moon.html

I looked at the notes but not the references. They refer to single
locations and limited periods of time, which makes me wonder about
statistical significance. In any case, they can't tell us anything
global.

There is a more recent climate related paper claiming a statistically
significant temperature to lunar phase correlation in satellite data but
not rainfall.
http://science.sciencemag.org/conten.../1481.abstract

It isn't totally implausible since the Earth will be very slightly
closer to the sun at full moon. The effect is tiny ~20mK

I think Martin has nailed the cause, though the authors didn't. While
the authors write "0.02 K" and "0.03 K" in the text -- and why they
give two different values is unclear to me -- their Figure 1 (which I
found in the pdf but not the html version) actually shows 10 mK
difference. That's just the amount I estimate from the difference in
solar distance as a function of lunar phase. I'm impressed that it
can actually be measured.

Another source quoted
http://www.reportingclimatescience.c...-rainfall.html
which is based on the refereed article at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...5GL067342/full

This shows the expected semi-diurnal tidal effect on the atmosphere
and correlates it with a tiny rainfall effect. The original claim
was a monthly effect, which this paper doesn't address and about
which I remain skeptical.

By the way, it's not hard to compare the relative tidal forces on a
raindrop from the Moon and from a nearby frog. The Moon is roughly
three times denser than a frog, so if the Moon and the frog subtend
the same angular diameter as seen from the raindrop, the Moon's tidal
force will be three times larger. Move the frog 30% closer, and the
tidal forces will be equal. (Tidal force goes as r^-1/3.) Of course
both are utterly negligible for any practical purpose.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA