If they find Soyuz has a major systems fault after the latest 'landing'...

Old April 24th 08, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

Default If they find Soyuz has a major systems fault after the latest 'landing'...

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Yes, but surely, many of them do not have this problem so it should be
relatively easy to fix it, if only by a change in procedure.
As has been said many times before, This launching and bringing back
people relatively undamaged from space is not easy. If it was easy, we
would all go!

The Russian way around things seems to be to just make the equipment
tougher and only fix the core problem when its fatal.

They've had the same sort of problem on two Soyuz missions in a row. There
is also a Soyuz docked at ISS which was launched *before* this last failure,
so it could very well have the same problem on reentry. This sort of
problem could very well result in loss of vehicle and crew. There is very
little insulation on the front of the capsule, so if this next service
module holds onto the reentry module just a little bit longer, the crew is
dead.

If I were scheduled to return on that Soyuz, I'd be more than a little bit
worried. The Soyuz safety record isn't getting any better.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old April 25th 08, 01:50 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:57:54 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

If you're really going "by the book" with a craft as experimental as the
shuttle you stop flying immediately and don't fly again until the problem,
and its possible consequences, is well understood.

Well, that is unless it is necessary to fly in order to determine the
cause and nature of the problem. The STS-114 PAL ramp foam liberation
being a case in point. All the ground tests and computational fluid
dynamics work indicated the PAL ramp was safe, but 114 showed that it
wasn't.

That is, afterall, what test flights are for.

Brian
Old April 25th 08, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

Jeff Findley wrote:

If I were scheduled to return on that Soyuz, I'd be more than a little bit
worried. The Soyuz safety record isn't getting any better.

Sergei Volkov, Oleg Kononenko, and whoever gets the next tourist seat
(Richard Garriott?). If I were the next tourist I'd at least be
negotiating a discount now...
Old April 25th 08, 03:17 AM posted to sci.space.station
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
Jeff Findley wrote:

If I were scheduled to return on that Soyuz, I'd be more than a little

bit
worried. The Soyuz safety record isn't getting any better.

Sergei Volkov, Oleg Kononenko, and whoever gets the next tourist seat
(Richard Garriott?). If I were the next tourist I'd at least be
negotiating a discount now...

And wondering if insurance will cover any 'incidents'.

Old April 25th 08, 03:50 AM posted to sci.space.station
Craig Fink

Why? Only spending a week or two on-orbit, a high gee (8.2 Gee) entry would
be a great end to my vacation. I'd probably spend extra for the option,
like the optional space walk. Is it a feature or a flaw? The high gee entry
might be a feature.

I doubt the spinning out of control, dragging an extra module along for a
while, is.
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Old April 25th 08, 05:15 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Jeff Findley wrote:

If I were scheduled to return on that Soyuz, I'd be more than a little

bit
worried. The Soyuz safety record isn't getting any better.

Sergei Volkov, Oleg Kononenko, and whoever gets the next tourist seat
(Richard Garriott?). If I were the next tourist I'd at least be
negotiating a discount now...

And wondering if insurance will cover any 'incidents'.

I highly doubt you can get insurance for something like this.

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!