Breaking News : DAWN Spacecraft Damaged!

Old June 13th 07, 03:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Breaking News : DAWN Spacecraft Damaged!

Oh ... ****.

Well, if they miss their launch window, maybe they'll decide to skip
Vesta and go directly to Ceres. Wouldn't that be just great!

Screw Vesta. The last thing we need is another 'moon'.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old June 13th 07, 08:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Jun 13, 7:50 am, kT wrote:
Oh ... ****.

Well, if they miss their launch window, maybe they'll decide to skip
Vesta and go directly to Ceres. Wouldn't that be just great!

Screw Vesta. The last thing we need is another 'moon'.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

Obviously they should have spent those extra billions for making DAWN
a little more robust and a whole lot faster.

Too bad such spendy and time consuming missions couldn't have been
efficiently launched away from my LSE-CM/ISS gateway, easily obtaining
ten fold the exit velocity from the same amount of rocket mass, as
well as for utilizing my impressive Ra--LRn--Rn--ion thrusters.

BTW can your nifty simulator give us a 3D interactive look-see at
Venus, as if our FOV were situated upon our moon?
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
Brad Guth

Old June 13th 07, 08:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Jun 13, 12:00 pm, BradGuth wrote:
On Jun 13, 7:50 am, kT wrote:

[...]

Dawn/Phoenix mission damaged?
If our crack wizards miss this launch window, it's going to demand a
great deal more deployment boost and/or a greater kicker stage than
previously planned. Either that or it's going to have to make for
some other target(s).

Too bad they don't seem to have a fully operational 3D interactive
simulator, as for us minions and village idiots to see exactly what
other viable target options exist.
-

Old June 13th 07, 08:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Brian Gaff wrote:

Any details?

Well, I blobbed it, of course, second, also known as last :

http://cosmic.lifeform.org/?p=318

So, it sounds real bad, and I'm really having a bad day, but then Kim
Keller comes on, and says it was just a non critical and hopefully
superficial gouge on some of the composite array mounting structure,
from a dropped wrench of one of the contractors, who has apologized.

This is all second hand street talk, clearly there was an incident, but
the good news (or lack of news) is that there should be no real delay.

I think they are scrambling with this mission after the crane problem.

Everybody just calm down, breathe slowly, a new dawn is approaching.

I also heard they loaded enough xenon for a possible Pallas visit.

Old June 13th 07, 08:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

On Jun 13, 7:50 am, kT wrote:

Oh ... ****.
Well, if they miss their launch window, maybe they'll decide to skip
Vesta and go directly to Ceres. Wouldn't that be just great!
Screw Vesta. The last thing we need is another 'moon'.

Obviously they should have spent those extra billions for making DAWN
a little more robust and a whole lot faster.

This is the miracle mission. This has to work, or we've got nothing.

Too bad such spendy and time consuming missions couldn't have been
efficiently launched away from my LSE-CM/ISS gateway, easily obtaining
ten fold the exit velocity from the same amount of rocket mass, as
well as for utilizing my impressive Ra--LRn--Rn--ion thrusters.

BTW can your nifty simulator give us a 3D interactive look-see at
Venus, as if our FOV were situated upon our moon?

Yes, Brad, you can do anything you want, and if Venus doesn't work out
the way you expected it, you can design your own damn planetoid.

Dawn/Phoenix mission damaged?
If our crack wizards miss this launch window, it's going to demand a
great deal more deployment boost and/or a greater kicker stage than
previously planned. Either that or it's going to have to make for
some other target(s).

Too bad they don't seem to have a fully operational 3D interactive
simulator, as for us minions and village idiots to see exactly what
other viable target options exist.

There are thousands of them, hundreds of them very very large.

Did you ever see Michelle Phillips in the Next Generation?

Now that was a great looking ... er ... planetoid.

Old June 13th 07, 09:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Alex Terrell

On 13 Jun, 20:38, kT wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Any details?

Well, I blobbed it, of course, second, also known as last :

http://cosmic.lifeform.org/?p=318

So, it sounds real bad, and I'm really having a bad day, but then Kim
Keller comes on, and says it was just a non critical and hopefully
superficial gouge on some of the composite array mounting structure,
from a dropped wrench of one of the contractors, who has apologized.

This is all second hand street talk, clearly there was an incident, but
the good news (or lack of news) is that there should be no real delay.

I think they are scrambling with this mission after the crane problem.

Everybody just calm down, breathe slowly, a new dawn is approaching.

I also heard they loaded enough xenon for a possible Pallas visit.

It was damaged when an English 00 agent broke in through the roof to
recover a lost GPS encoder. Moments before, baddy No 3 had told his
henchmen to look after the satellite as it was worth a billion
dollars, thereby sealing its fate.

Old June 13th 07, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Alex Terrell wrote:
On 13 Jun, 20:38, kT wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

No, that's not what I heard at all. Here is a more credible update :

http://space.newscientist.com/articl...or-launch.html

Now, if this happened on Monday, why are we only hearing about it now?

That is the big question on all alert conspiracy minds.

Old June 13th 07, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Jun 13, 12:43 pm, kT wrote:
BradGuth wrote:
On Jun 13, 12:00 pm, BradGuth wrote:

BTW can your nifty simulator give us a 3D interactive look-see at
Venus, as if our FOV were situated upon our moon?

Yes, Brad, you can do anything you want, and if Venus doesn't work out
the way you expected it, you can design your own damn planetoid.

Only things I'd like to design are the likes of POOF City at VL2, that
of my LSE-CM/ISS within our moon's L1, and otherwise possibly as to
accomplishing the relocation of our global warming moon, as situated
all the way out to Earth's L1.

Just wondering why not any of NASA's solar system simulators can ever
seem to locate Venus as of those supposed Apollo missions. Oddly via
those supposed moon EVAs and/or of orbiting that physically dark moon
of ours, somehow they've got not one unfiltered Kodak moment of ever
including any hint of Venus.

Dawn/Phoenix mission damaged?
If our crack wizards miss this launch window, it's going to demand a
great deal more deployment boost and/or a greater kicker stage than
previously planned. Either that or it's going to have to make for
some other target(s).

Too bad they don't seem to have a fully operational 3D interactive
simulator, as for us minions and village idiots to see exactly what
other viable target options exist.

There are thousands of them, hundreds of them very very large.

But there's no apparent 3D interactive simulator for accommodating
such complex orbital mechanics. Perhaps NASA should utilize that
nifty one of yours.

Did you ever see Michelle Phillips in the Next Generation?

Sorry, I missed that one.
-

Old June 14th 07, 01:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

BradGuth wrote:
On Jun 13, 12:43 pm, kT wrote:
BradGuth wrote:
On Jun 13, 12:00 pm, BradGuth wrote:

BTW can your nifty simulator give us a 3D interactive look-see at
Venus, as if our FOV were situated upon our moon?

Yes, Brad, you can do anything you want, and if Venus doesn't work out
the way you expected it, you can design your own damn planetoid.

Only things I'd like to design are the likes of POOF City at VL2, that
of my LSE-CM/ISS within our moon's L1, and otherwise possibly as to
accomplishing the relocation of our global warming moon, as situated
all the way out to Earth's L1.

Just wondering why not any of NASA's solar system simulators can ever
seem to locate Venus as of those supposed Apollo missions. Oddly via
those supposed moon EVAs and/or of orbiting that physically dark moon
of ours, somehow they've got not one unfiltered Kodak moment of ever
including any hint of Venus.

Yes, Brad, Venus is right there, download Stellarium for God's sake.

I can see it outside every night too. Planets are so in right now.

Dawn/Phoenix mission damaged?
If our crack wizards miss this launch window, it's going to demand a
great deal more deployment boost and/or a greater kicker stage than
previously planned. Either that or it's going to have to make for
some other target(s).
Too bad they don't seem to have a fully operational 3D interactive
simulator, as for us minions and village idiots to see exactly what
other viable target options exist.

There are thousands of them, hundreds of them very very large.

But there's no apparent 3D interactive simulator for accommodating
such complex orbital mechanics. Perhaps NASA should utilize that
nifty one of yours.

I haven't even written a Ceres module for it yet - not enough data.

I'm still working on the getting to orbit part of it. This Dawn thing is
big, though, they figure they can fly to and from four asteroids per
mission in the future. We just need to get this one mission retired.

Ceres is both big and beautiful. Here is an interesting site I ran
across while I was researching the 3 um band in Ceres and Pallas :

http://www.saharamet.com/meteorite/press/article.html

Read the whole story, prospecting parts 1 and 2.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

Breaking News : DAWN Spacecraft Damaged! kT Space Shuttle 11 June 14th 07 04:01 PM
Breaking NASA News :) Dale History 4 April 29th 06 08:34 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Most Stars Are Single Magnificent Universe Amateur Astronomy 11 January 23rd 06 07:22 AM
BREAKING NEWS - UFO Abducts Pig!!!! Art Deco Misc 1 October 25th 05 04:29 AM
Breaking News, Japan Earthquake Ray Vingnutte Misc 8 August 17th 05 10:16 AM