Gravitational wave data...

Old February 16th 16, 11:40 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Default Gravitational wave data...

Is there a paper that describes the time delay, if any, between the two sites that were running at that time?

David A. Smith
Old February 17th 16, 04:43 AM posted to sci.astro
Steven Carlip

In article ,
dlzc wrote:

Is there a paper that describes the time delay, if any, between
the two sites that were running at that time?

Sure. The first paper, http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.03837, reports
that there was a 6.9 ms delay. Here are two papers that use
that to constrain the speed of propagation of the wave:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04188, http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04764.
(With only two detectors, we can't measure the actual speed,
because we don't know the angle at which the wave front is arriving
at the detectors.)

Steve Carlip
Old February 17th 16, 03:57 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Steven Carlip:

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 9:43:12 PM UTC-7, Steven Carlip wrote:
In article ,
dlzc wrote:

Is there a paper that describes the time delay, if
any, between the two sites that were running at
that time?

Sure. The first paper, http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.03837,
reports that there was a 6.9 ms delay.

Descriptive text for Figure 1.

Here are two papers that use that to constrain the
speed of propagation of the wave:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04188, http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04764.
(With only two detectors, we can't measure the actual
speed, because we don't know the angle at which the
wave front is arriving at the detectors.)

Well, true, however there was a related observation that "maybe" there was a GRB (or SN?) associated with this, and that might give us the angle, etc.

Not looking to question the speed... absolutely not an S-wave or something transmitted at the speed of sound in rock, nor probably some "rotating shear wave" from the source, which would for any distant source be instantaneous at our end for finite (and interesting) speeds of rotation.

David A. Smith