Mount specifications??

Old January 12th 04, 09:55 PM
Michael

Default Mount specifications??

"Chuck Taylor" wrote in message
Now, let me begin by saying that I'm an engineer and I may be making
this whole thing too complicated. If I am, feel free to slap me and
be done with it.

Nope, you hit the nail on the head. The mount is critical and there is no
standard way to rate them. Even the social contract of "diffraction
limited" means more than mount specs.

I've been reading what the "standard" telescope comes with in a
package. Now, Celestron sells a wide variety of their telescopes with
a CG-5 mount. These telescopes weigh anywhere from 25 pounds to over
100. I can't find any information on the load bearing capability of
the mounts themselves, though.

You won't get a CG-5 to hold anywhere close to 100 lbs. You need to modify
the tripod to get it to hold much over 25.

Do you observe the moon?

100 LBS??..you planning on strapping on a sack of taters or something?

Old January 13th 04, 05:16 AM
Edward Smith

100 LBS??..you planning on strapping on a sack of taters or something?

No, I thought I'd start with concrete!

Seriously, I got the weight from the manufacturer specs. These were a
bit confusing and could have meant either "scope" or "assembly". I
couldn't figure out which, so I decided to be conservative.
Personally, I didn't see how the telescope in question could be
anywhere near 100 pounds.

Old January 13th 04, 05:54 AM
Chuck Taylor

Seriously, I got the weight from the manufacturer specs. These were a
bit confusing and could have meant either "scope" or "assembly". I
couldn't figure out which, so I decided to be conservative.
Personally, I didn't see how the telescope in question could be
anywhere near 100 pounds.

What scope is it?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old January 13th 04, 07:14 AM
Edward Smith

Seriously, I got the weight from the manufacturer specs. These were a
bit confusing and could have meant either "scope" or "assembly". I
couldn't figure out which, so I decided to be conservative.
Personally, I didn't see how the telescope in question could be
anywhere near 100 pounds.

What scope is it?

I can't find the exact one at the moment, but it was a 10" Newtonian
Reflector (similar to the C10-N which seems to be around 87 pounds).