Visited Lick Observatory

Old August 10th 03, 02:12 AM
Lichanglee

Default Visited Lick Observatory

Hi, I visited the Lick Observatory last week and took some pictures there.
Anyone interested can view the pictures at

http://www.unitytimes.com/user/searc...servatory&city
=&state=BK&zip=&lang=blk&submit=Search

The most surprising discovery for me is that the financer of the observatory
James Lick is buried under the base of a telescope. Just wonder, given billion
of dollars, how many of you would build an observatory and have yourself buried
under there?

Eric
Old August 10th 03, 02:40 AM
Alan Moore

On 10 Aug 2003 01:12:12 GMT, (Lichanglee) wrote:

Hi, I visited the Lick Observatory last week and took some pictures there.
Anyone interested can view the pictures at

http://www.unitytimes.com/user/searc...servatory&city
=&state=BK&zip=&lang=blk&submit=Search

The most surprising discovery for me is that the financer of the observatory
James Lick is buried under the base of a telescope. Just wonder, given billion
of dollars, how many of you would build an observatory and have yourself buried
under there?

Lick's original burial plan was for a pyramid (egyptian style) in San
Francisco. A friend of his associated with the California Academy of
Sciences suggested an astronomical observatory instead. Lick's first
thought in that regard was to build one on Market Street in San
Francisco (keep in mind that back then, most astronomical
observatories were located in or near cities -- even quite large
cities. After discussions of what was actually needed with some
astronomers, the benefits of higher elevation and dark sky were
realized, and the Lick Observatory was actually the first to be built
on a mountain top.

Lick's body was reinterred under the pier of the 36 inch telescope
when the observatory was complete, about 10 years after his death. He
had become fabulously wealthy speculating in San Francisco real estate
during the period shortly after the gold rush as the city was growing
rapidly. He left a lot of money for worthy causes when he died, and is
still well regarded in the area.

Al Moore
Old August 10th 03, 04:25 AM
Mark Gingrich

Al Moore wrote:

... He left a lot of money for worthy causes when he died, and is
still well regarded in the area.

Except on those occasions when he's cursed by thousands of idling
motorists whenever traffic backs up on the James Lick Freeway.

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich San Leandro, California
Old August 10th 03, 11:11 AM
John Oliver

Lichanglee wrote:
Hi, I visited the Lick Observatory last week and took some pictures there.
Anyone interested can view the pictures at

http://www.unitytimes.com/user/searc...servatory&city
=&state=BK&zip=&lang=blk&submit=Search

The most surprising discovery for me is that the financer of the observatory
James Lick is buried under the base of a telescope. Just wonder, given billion
of dollars, how many of you would build an observatory and have yourself buried
under there?

Eric

I was a research assistant at Lick in the early 1960s and used to
host at the 36 inch refractor during friday night open houses. The
dome has a movable floor and I used to tell the story of James Lick
including the location of his crypt (in the pier just below minimum
floor level) and then "blip" the floor down button. This always got
a big gasp from the folks gathered there on the floor in the dark.

Old August 10th 03, 08:18 PM
Alan Moore

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 06:11:17 -0400, John Oliver
wrote:

Lichanglee wrote:
[...]

Hey! I remember that. I was just a kid at the time...

I have vivid recollections of looking at Saturn through the 36 inch
and Jupiter through the 12 inch (now replaced by a reflector, which is
closed to the public...)

Al Moore
Old August 11th 03, 12:04 AM
John Oliver

wrote:

Lichanglee wrote:

[...]

The Ring was also pretty good with the 36 inch. My wife and I were
pretty disappointed to find the 12 inch gone when we visited Lick
last year. I stole our first kiss while showing her Mars at the 12
inch. Gene Shoemaker made sketches of the Moon with both refractors
while providing input for NASA prior to the Apollo flights.