Where does it end?

Old December 26th 03, 09:21 PM
Jan Owen

Default Where does it end?

I attended a fairly massive family gathering at my in-law's yesterday
afternoon, and during the gift exchange that followed dinner, a little
boy, perhaps 10 or 12, who I guess we could call my nephew in law, or
something like that, was given a fairly big box by the person who was
handing out the gifts. And the boy happened to be sitting next to me, so
I watched as he opened his present.

I almost fell out of my chair as more and more detail was revealed...

It was a box containing not just a TELESCOPE, but, by God, a real
telescope AND a MICROSCOPE from none other than that tower of power in the
astronomy business, Meade Instruments. And whoever bought that "gift" had
left the price tag on it. It cost $29 and change.

Research grade all the way, no doubt!

I would like to end this little story by saying this little boy's name was
Shawn Grant, and this whole post was just a joke, but that would not be
true.

It really was a little nephew, and that's exactly what some thoughtful
person bought him. I have no doubt that their intentions were good, but
I'm also pretty sure that had the packaging been truthful, whoever bought
it probably wouldn't have).

Twenty-nine dollars!!! That's for two different high quality (heheheh)
instruments, and their mounts, with each instrument capable of seeing the
universe as never before...

How low can it go???

Maybe by next year, we'll all be able to buy the high quality scope of our
dreams at the nearest Dollar store!!!

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address

Old December 26th 03, 09:56 PM
Chuck Taylor

"Jan Owen" wrote in message

It was a box containing not just a TELESCOPE, but, by God, a real
telescope AND a MICROSCOPE from none other than that tower of power in the
astronomy business, Meade Instruments. And whoever bought that "gift" had
left the price tag on it. It cost $29 and change.

Research grade all the way, no doubt!

Does anybody else suddenly feel ill?

YUCK!

Clear Skies (and hype-free packaging)

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old December 26th 03, 10:02 PM
donutbandit

"Jan Owen" wrote in

[...]

And it's very possible that little boy will see enough in one or both to
make him curious enough to want something better.

Old December 26th 03, 10:16 PM
Jan Owen

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address
"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Jan Owen" wrote in

[...]

I started out with a department store 60mm f/15 scope more than a quarter
century ago. But that scope at least had a decent objective. Add up
what's in this box, and tell us how good you think the quality will be for
what's in this set selling for less than half the price of just a
department store scope from the 70's (when the dollar was worth a little
more than today)...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3944%3A5182

Old December 26th 03, 11:30 PM
Al

And it's very possible that little boy will see enough in one or both to
make him curious enough to want something better.

You raise a very interesting question. Will this cheap telescope/microscope
kit make him curious enough to want something better or will this lousy
experience turn him off to astronomy for the rest of his life? If it has
the former effect, then Meade is doing the best thing possible by offering
these cheap telescopes for sale, and we (amateur astronomers) are completely
wrong in our belief that the "cheap department store telescope" is a bad
thing. On the other hand, if the cheap telescope has the latter effect,
then Meade and other leaders in this industry are selling these cheap scopes
at there own detriment. If they continue, they will only serve to narrow
their customer base rather than to enlarge it. Eventually, they may drive
themselves out of business. What do you think?

Al

Old December 26th 03, 11:56 PM
Torquil MacCorkle, III

The kid will probably just return it anyway. Go to wal-mart in the next few
days and you will see kids with carts full of returns. Kids these days...
sigh