Gamma-ray burst could kill off ocean life

Old August 2nd 10, 07:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Chris.B[_2_]

Default Gamma-ray burst could kill off ocean life

On Aug 1, 9:22*pm, Brenda mumbled:

Ever noticed that 2500 km crater of the lunar south pole, and
perchance wonder why it's such a good match to that of our Arctic
ocean basin?

I have already answered this question with my simple Oasis model.

You can take a model to knowledge but you can't make her think.

Old August 2nd 10, 10:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Aug 1, 11:15*pm, "Chris.B" wrote:
On Aug 1, 9:22*pm, Brenda mumbled:

Ever noticed that 2500 km crater of the lunar south pole, and
perchance wonder why it's such a good match to that of our Arctic
ocean basin?

I have already answered this question with my simple Oasis model.

You can take a model to knowledge but you can't make her think.

In other words, that highly unusual and truly massive moon of ours can
easily survive such an impact that morphs it's thick crusted surface
into a 2500 km crater, but somehow Earth can't.

Gee, you are soooo smart.

~ BG
Old August 3rd 10, 12:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Chris.B[_2_]

On Aug 2, 11:44*pm, Brenda Guff mumbled incoherently:

In other words, that highly unusual and truly massive moon of ours can
easily survive such an impact that morphs it's thick crusted surface
into a 2500 km crater, but somehow Earth can't.

Gee, you are soooo smart.

Dear Brenda

Noooooooooooooo. That was Mars! Do try and keep up! ;-)
Old August 3rd 10, 07:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Aug 3, 4:56*am, "Chris.B" wrote:
On Aug 2, 11:44*pm, Brenda Guff mumbled incoherently:

In other words, that highly unusual and truly massive moon of ours can
easily survive such an impact that morphs it's thick crusted surface
into a 2500 km crater, but somehow Earth can't.

Gee, you are soooo smart.

Dear Brenda

Noooooooooooooo. That was Mars! Do try and keep up! ;-)

I agree that planets and moons can be captured, as well as survive
massive encounters. It's called lithobraking.

Now try to explain what created our Arctic ocean basin and gave us
most of our seasonal tilt.

There's hardly any Mars rock on Earth, but how much lunar basalt from
those horrific impacts landed on Earth? (some of us that are way
smarter than yourself might suggest 40%, although even 4% would be an
impressive amount of tonnage) So, what's your best swag?

BTW, there's no indications of any impact crater on Mars that matches
up to that lunar crater of 2500 km. Are you suggesting that a thick
layer of ice protected Mars?

Are you suggesting that Mars is simply older and thus more solidified
than Earth? (because I'd buy into that one)

~ BG